Watermelon Salad Recipe With Tomatoes And Feta
Savory, sweet and salty - what more can you ask for? This watermelon salad recipe combines crisp watermelon and flavorful heirloom tomatoes which makes this salad summer classic. Feel free to add peeled seeded and diced cucumber if you like. This is truly refreshing on a hot summer's day.
- 2 1/2 cups of very best tomatoes of the season, 3/4- to 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 20 mint leaves
- 1 small scallion, green and white, sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice, (or 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cups watermelon, 3/4- to 1-inch cubes
- 1/3 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- Place a colander over a bowl. Add the tomatoes, and toss with salt. Let sit for between 30 minutes to 2 hours.
- Stack and tightly curl the mint leaves, then slice very thinly. Add to a small bowl along with the scallion, lemon juice and olive oil.
- Toss the tomatoes gently with the watermelon. Then add and toss with the scallion-mint dressing.
- Pour off any excess liquid. Taste, adding additional salt if you like, remembering that the feta is salty.
- Pile the salad on a platter or individual plates, sprinkled with feta cheese.