Watermelon, Tomato Salad with Fresh Mint, Crumbled French Feta and Toasted Almonds
Recently, my town participated in a project funded by a collaborative volunteer organization dedicated to creating a healthier community. This grant program was also supported by my local farmer's market, who work tirelessly to promote local farms and encourage residents to eat locally.
The project provided funds for area chefs to conduct cooking demonstrations focused on foods that are in season.
I was asked to conduct a demo and decided to show people a few of my favorite summer salads perfect for picnics, buffets and large gatherings.
Here is the salad I made first........
- 8 cups seedless watermelon, 1 1/4 inch chunks
- 3 pounds vine ripe cherry tomatoes in assorted colors, sliced in half
- 1 teaspoon fleur de sel or coarse kosher salt
- 5 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 fresh lemon, juiced
- 3-4 Tablespoons fresh mint, chopped
- 6 cups fresh arugula or watercress
- 1 cup feta or french feta, crumbled
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- salt and pepper to taste
- Toss arugula with 1 Tablespoon of olive oil and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper and place onto platter.
- Combine watermelon and tomatoes in a large bowl. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of salt, toss and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Add 4 Tablespoons of olive oil and most of the mint. Season with salt and pepper. Place on top of arugula.
- Sprinkle crumbled feta and almonds atop watermelon. Sprinkle the remainder of the chopped mint on top of the salad and serve.
How To Grow Mint
- How to Grow Mint | Backyard Gardening Blog
Mint is a wonderful herb to have in the garden. It grows with abundance and with no supervision. It is easily harvested for salads, salsas and, oh, yeah, mojitos!
How To Chiffonade
Chi - f -fon-WHAT?
- Pronunciation of chiffonade - how to pronounce chiffonade correctly.
I love this free online pronunciation dictionary! If you're not sure how to pronounce CHIFFONADE - learn how here.
Master the Art of Cheesemaking.
Making your own cheese can be a very rewarding craft. This book has beautiful photographs to inspire and encourage you to try. Need a little bit more encouragement? Grab a friend and sign up for a cheese-making class.