What's wrong with the Instant Pot IP-DU060 Pressure Cooker?
About the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
It's a 7 in 1 Multi Functional cooker. So its a pressure cooker, slow cooker, rice cooker/porridge maker, sauté/ browning, yogurt maker and a steamer and warmer. High pressure cooking can reduce cooking time by up to 70%.
It has a large easy to use control panel with 14 built in programs which are: Soup, meat/stew, bean/chilli, poultry, sauté, steam, rice, porridge, multigrain, slow cook, keep warm, yogurt, pasteurize and fermented rice.
The steam function allows you to prepare fresh or frozen vegetables in less than three minutes. Potatoes can be completely steamed in about 15 minutes. Chilli or stew dishes take an hour.
Three temperatures are available in sauté mode for browning, simmering or thickening and in slow cook mode, three temperatures are also available with the Instant Pot IP-DOU to cook traditional recipes.
It has a 24 hour timer for delayed cooking and an automatic keep warm so you can hold the temperature until your food is ready to serve for up to 10 hours.
Safety features are:
- A safety lid lock that makes it impossible to open accidentally while its in its pressurized cycle.
- It has a pressure regulator ensuring that the working pressure is under a 15psi limit.
- Smart detection of a leaky lid.
- Anti blockage vent prevents food from blocking the vent.
- Excess pressure protection controller releases excess pressure into an internal safety chamber.
- A high temperature monitor avoids burning food.
The IP-DUO60 has a 6 quart capacity and for making yogurt can heat up to 5 litres milk in the cooking pot. THe heating element is 1000 watts.
What's wrong with the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
The Instant Pot Pressure Cooker truly is a very important part of our kitchen. We've owned it for about nine months now and use it often, especially when we've got a crowd coming. However there are some shortcomings that we've discovered that should be pointed out:
- It has a stainless steel cooking surface which we love compared to non stick surfaces but it has a thin aluminum disk to distribute heat evenly means that your pasta and tomato sauce recipe will scorch in the IP-DUO60 but its not a heavy price to pay having only one recipe that you can't cook. On the other hand the stainless steel surface really does a great job browning meat.
- The silicone seal contains odours. A problem if you cook lots of curries. We now have bought some spare ones and replace it once a month.
- Sometimes we wish it was a little larger.
- The glass lid and steaming container are accessories and don't come with the package. They are a must have.
- Cooking controls take a while to get used to, but manual control is easy.
Instant Pot IP-DUO series Video
Questions and Answers concerning the Instant Pot IP-DUO60
Can you use the Instant pot for canning?
We haven't tried it but according to the manufacturer - yes you can successfully use the Instant Pot for canning.
What PSI does it use?
Its rated at a high of 15PSI, but in reality the high is about 12PSI and the low 6PSI.
What are the fahrenheit temperatures?
Working temperature is 244F and 229 low. Slow cook 190f. Sauté 320f. Yogurt 109f.
Can you cook from frozen?
Yes you can cook from frozen with the Instant Pot.
How much rice can I cook?
Up to 10 cups.
Does the Instant Pot Duo come with a rice paddle?
Yes it comes with a stainless steel steam rack, rice paddle, measuring cup, instruction book, recipes and a cooking timetable.
Is it difficult to clean?
Not at all. If you've cooked something very sticky then best let it soak for an hour then use a soft scrubber.
What is the inner lid made of?
How long is the warranty?
How long does it take to cook rice?
Brown rice takes about 30 minutes.
Is there any teflon in the Instant Pot Duo?
Absolutely zero teflon.
Can it go in a dishwasher?
The inner stainless steel pot can be cleaned in a dishwasher.
Do you have to fill the Instant Pot to full capacity each time to cook?
Not at all. Just follow the guidelines and you can cook in minimal liquid.
How much does it weigh?
Can you use it manually?
Yes. If you want to control the time and temperature yourself, then you can operate it manually.
Does the outside of the Duo60 get hot?
The outside gets warm but the lid gets hot. Instant Pot does warn you about this not to touch it.
How long to cook a chicken and will a whole chicken fit inside?
About 45 minutes and yes it fits an entire chicken.
What's right about the Instant Pot Duo60
We're truly thrilled with our Instant pot and its become the favorite tool in the kitchen. It cooks fast and well and just takes a lot of time out of it.
We like the fact its made of stainless steel, so its a good clean healthy surface. Its automatic functions work extremely well. At first we preferred to cook in manual mode as we thought it wouldn't cook as well as us overseeing it but now we've used in auto mode for the last 6 months and its never let us down. We can go shopping downtown and when we get back its like someone's been in the kitchen cooking for us. In that time, its cooked our meal and automatically retained it at a ready to serve temperature for us.
We also like making Greek yogurt and find the Instant pot is truly great for this and probably the single most compelling reason we bought it in the first place. To our knowledge its the only pressure cooker around that will do this. Its also really good as a rice cooker. So no need to buy yourself a separate yogurt maker or a rice cooker as this Instant Pot Duo60 is all in one.