Wheat and Gluten Free Dutch Apple Pie
A Tasty Fall Desert using Fresh Apples
Sweet and Delicious Dutch Apple Pie
Dutch apple pie differs from apple crisp or apple pie by using cornflour in the apple filling. The topping is not a rolled pastry and the pie can be made with a flat pastry bottom or just the topping. I made this one without the base to conserve calories. The cornstarch (cornflour in the UK) adds to the texture of the apples and makes them puffy.
For this recipe I used the apples I had on hand which were BC grown Gala. For a more tart version use granny smith or a large cooking apple. Red or golden delicious apples do not work so well because of the moisture content. The recipe is best using fresh apples but you can also use apples which have been pre-cut and frozen. Apple sauce or apple pie filling does not work so well.
Cook Time at 375c
- Prep time: 15 min
- Cook time: 50 min
- Ready in: 1 hour 5 min
- Yields: 6-8 servings
- 4-6 Apples
- 1 cup Almond Flour
- 1 cup Rice or Coconut Flour
- 1/4 or 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp Dark Brown Sugar., Depending on sweeteness preference and apples chosen
- 1/2 cup Butter
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- 2 tbsp Cornstarch (corn flour in UK)
- wheat and gluten free pastry, optional for base
- If using Pastry grease a pie dish and roll pastry to fit bottom and sides. Prick with fork in several places. This base is optional. Pre-heat oven to 375F 195c
- Cut and peel apples. Place them in water with 1 x tsp lemon juice and cover untill you are ready to use them. This prevents apples turning brown.
- Place the flours, butter and sugar in a mixing bowl and crumble together with your fingers.. Mixture will resemble chunky breadcrumbs.
- Place the apples on top of pastry shell (if using) or directty into the dish. Sprinkle with cornflour, 2 tspb sugar and cinnamon
- Please in pre-heated oven and bake for 50 mins. Serve hot or cold. Delicious alone, with cream or ice-cream or Greek Yogurt.