Wheat and Gluten Free Lemon Meringue Pie - so delicious!
Simple and Delicious
This Lemon Meringue Pie Recipe offers guests with or without wheat and gluten free allergies a delicious and refreshing desert. For the cook, it is simple to make and not too time consuming. You can "cheat" a little and use a PatsyPie wheat and gluten free crumble crust www.patsypie.com for retailers, make your own using a box of wheat and gluten free graham style crackers crumbled and flattened into pie dish with a little melted butter or create your own from scratch using the ingredients listed in the "crust from scratch" unit below.
- 1 1/4 cups sugar, white or brown as preferred for filling
- 1/3 cup cornstrach (US/Canada) Cornflour (UK)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3 eggs separated
- 1 tbsp butter, unsalted
- 5 tbsp lemon juice or juice of 2 large lemons
- 6oz caster sugar, for meringue
Lemon Filling and Meringue
- Beat 3 egg yolks and set aside
- Combine sugar, cornstarch and water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a gentle boil, stirring. TIP - add water slowly and smooth cornstarch to prevent lumping. Boil gently for one munute.
- Pour half of mixture onto egg yols, then pur back into pot. Cook for one minute stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and add butter and lemon juice. Pour into prepared crust in pie dish.
- Whisk egg whites until stiff and peaks form. Whisk 2 tablespoons and sugar and fold in remaining sugar x 2 tbsps at a time.
- Pile meringue on top of pie filling and sprinkle or dredge a little caster or icing sugar overtop
- Place pie in a cool oven 275F for 10-15mins. When cooked the meringue should be crisp on top with a soft marshamallow texture inside.
Crust from Scratch
- Dry ingredients:
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Wet ingredients:
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons honey
Combine ingredients excepy honey in a bowl and rub together to create breadrumbs. When mixed add honey and press into greased pie dish. Bake blind in oven at 400 for 15 minutes.
Nutrition Information per serving
229 calories, 9g fat, 32g carbs, 4g protein, 1g fiber