White Cheese Macaroni with Shrimp and Corn
Something a Bit Different
I came up with this recipe when I got a hankering for some Mac and Cheese but realized that I did not have any ham or chicken in the house. I didn't want to go out and spend money to buy ingredients so I looked in the freezer and saw that I had shrimp... Then I got a bit creative, haha. Enjoy this seafood twist on a . Let me know what you think! classic comfort food
I Thought I Was a Mad Genius
- 1 pound macaroni pasta, elbow or shell shaped
- 4 tablespoons butter, salted
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 cups milk, whole
- 2 cups white cheddar cheese, extra sharp
- 1 cup any type of cheese, adds variety
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 pound extra small shrimp, simmer with lemon or lime juice and a dash of salt
- 1 cup flavored croutons, crushed
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped and sauteed
- 16 ounce can yellow and white corn, drained
- white pepper, to taste
- chili powder, to taste
- dash of paprika, for color
- salt, for boiling
- Simmer or steam the shrimp until lightly cooked. Add lemon or lime juice and a dash of salt. Set aside and devein when cool.
- Saute chopped garlic in a pan with a bit of butter or olive oil. Toss into the shrimp.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Bring a large pot of salted water to a bowl, then stir in pasta and cook according to the directions, until al dente.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and cook for one minute, stirring constantly. Add milk, then whisk gently until smooth. Bring mixture to a boil, add cheese, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened.
- Place strained and cooled macaroni in a 9"x13" baking dish. Pour the sauce over the macaroni, season with garlic, onion powder, chili powder, white pepper, cooked shrimp, corn, and mix well.
- Cook in oven for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with bread crumbs and a dash of paprika on top. Bake for 10 more minutes.
- Serves 8 with plenty more for easily heated leftovers. Delicious!