White Sauce for Pizza
When it comes to the topic of pizza, normally a rich tomato sauce is associated. Trust me, there's nothing wrong with this notion as almost every pizza served, boxed or frozen comes with this sauce. That's just the way it is, and people who don't like tomatoes are just out of luck, right? Ah, who am I fooling, there's always more than one way to go about things! As pizza has progressed throughout the years many changes have revolutionized the way we view this Italian classic. Arguably, there's not a more revolutionary change than the incorporation of creamy white sauce. Turning old red on it's head, white sauce has gained great popularity and continues to amaze by offering a unique flavor profile. It's time to treat your taste buds to a pleasant surprise with my White Sauce for Pizza Recipe.
- Prep time: 5 min
- Cook time: 10 min
- Ready in: 15 min
- Yields: Sauce for two large Pizzas.
- 3/4 Cup Milk
- 1/3 Cup Parmesan Cheese
- Heaping Tablespoon Flour
- 1 Tablespoon Butter or Veg. Oil
- 1 Clove Garlic
- Handful Fresh Basil
- Salt and Pepper
White Pizza Sauce Rating -
- In a small saucepan set to medium heat, add butter and let it melt.
- Add in flour to create a roux. Stir while allowing to cook for the next 3-4 minutes. Your roux will turn a golden color during this time.
- Remove pan from heat and quickly pour in all your milk. Dissolve the flour mixture by whisking and then return back to the heat.
- Grate Parmesan cheese and mince your clove of garlic. Add both to the saucepan.
- As the cheese melts and the sauce begins to come to a slight simmer, it will begin to thicken. To prevent chunks from forming, stir constantly.
- Once the sauce has been simmering for 1 minute, remove from heat. Continue to stir until the mixture stops bubbling.
- Roughly chop some basil leaves and add them to the sauce. At this same time, lightly season with salt and pepper. Taste and season more if necessary.
- Let the sauce come to room temperature. It will continue to thicken almost into a paste. This is good as it will allow you to easily and evenly spread it on your pizza dough.
Creating Your Pizza -
- Prepare dough by rolling it out onto a greased pizza pan.
- Spread sauce mixture with a spoon. Work it evenly across the pizza and directly to the edge of the crust.
- Add Mozzarella cheese, toppings and then top cheese.
- Bake and enjoy!
Basically a cheese sauce, lighter flavored toppings should be used as to not overpower the delicate white sauce. Chicken, bacon, spinach, mushrooms, onions, artichokes and other vegetables are perfect options for topping. Pepperoni, sausages and strong veggies such as bell peppers should be left for the standard tomato sauce.
Not only is creamy white sauce for pizza a change of pace, it also is a simple and effortless solution to take the place of time consuming homemade tomato sauce. Next time you're in the business of making a homemade pizza, this cheesy white sauce is a recipe you won't want to skip out on. Thank you very much for reading my recipe. I hope you enjoy! Feedback, comments and/or questions are always appreciated!
Want More on Pizza?
- Easy Tomato Pizza Sauce
Can't really bash a classic, but there's always room for improvement. Try this simple and fresh grape tomato pizza sauce.
- Baking Powder Pizza Dough
No yeast? No problem, give this quick solution a try!
- Eggplant Parmigiana Pizza
A classic dish twisted into a tasty pizza. What more could you want?