- Food and Cooking»
- Breakfast Recipes
Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Bread
After the holidays, we tell ourselves that we need to try to eat healthier (and less) to lose those extra happy holiday pounds we put on during holiday parties and dinners (and breakfasts, and lunch, and brunch, and afternoon tea, and dessert….).
But, just because we have to eat healthier, it doesn’t mean we have to eat nothing be lettuce and stop eating tasty sweet treats.
Interestingly, most people think of chocolate as nothing more than a decadent luxury that shouldn’t be enjoy more than a few times.
And when it comes to bread, we tend to see it as something we should avoid like the plague (all those fattening carbohydrates!)
And rarely do we ever think of the two together. But they, like mint and lamb, can make a great combination if you make it just right. It can be delicious and healthy. So, if you want to have a great tasty treat that is healthy, this is the recipe that is best for you.
Like pumpkin bread or banana nut bread (both are sweet and delicious quick breads that are mainly eaten as a breakfast dish or a snack for tea or coffee), this whole wheat chocolate bread is a simple and easy way to enjoy a chocolate treat that is also healthy.
The use of whole wheat, and dark chocolate chips if you so choose, in this recipe gives you a great serving of fiber and anti-oxidants. Plus the chocolate gives you that wonderful, sinful treat that is such a guilty pleasure; this way you can enjoy it without feeling sheepish.
1 ¾ cups of 100 percent Whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon of Baking Soda
¼ teaspoon of Double Acting Baking Powder
1 teaspoon of salt
(1 teaspoon of ground chocolate or instant coffee, optional)
1 1/3 cups of white sugar
1/3 cup of vegetable oil
2 whole eggs
1 cup of semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips or chunks
½ teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
1/3 cup of whole or D milk, or even half and half is good (if trying to keep it healthier, use skim milk, or 2 percent milk, or even water)
(1 teaspoon cold coffee, optional)
(½ cup of walnuts, pecans or your choice up chopped nuts, optional)
1. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degree F.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the wheat flour, the baking powder, the baking soda, and the salt; also add the ground chocolate or instant coffee if you are using it.
3. Whisk or sift the dry ingredients together, and set aside.
4. In a larger mixing bowl, combine the white sugar, the two eggs, and the vegetable oil.
5. Whisk the wet ingredients together until light and fluffy.
6. Add the chocolate chips, or chucks, to the wet batter and switch to using a spatula or wooden spoon.
7. Mix in the chocolate is fully incorporated throughout the batter.
8. Add the vanilla and milk and mix well (and the teaspoon of cold coffee if using it).
9. Add the flour mixture (dry ingredients) in three parts, to the batter.
10. Mix well each time before adding the next part. (stir in the nuts if using them).
11. Line a medium loaf pan (9x5 inches) with parchment paper.
12. When the batter is well blended, pour it into the lined loaf pan.
13. Bake in oven for one (1) hour, to one (1) hour and 15 minutes (check at one hour) or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the middle of the bread.
14. Let the bread cool completely before cutting and serving.