Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Pancakes
Most of us, when we want pancakes, tend to eat them at a diner or make them from a box. But you can make great tasting and healthy pancakes at home from very basic ingredients and they taste so much better than the stuff in the box and are way cheaper than the diner. Here is a nice recipe for whole wheat pancakes with chocolate chips.
1½ cups whole wheat flour
3 tablespoons white sugar
2 teaspoons double-acting baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup milk
3 tablespoons butter, melted
Butter-flavored cooking spray
1-2 cups Chocolate Chips
1. In a mixing bowl sift together the flour, sugar, powder, and salt.
2. Whisk in melted butter.
3. Add milk and eggs.
4. Mix all ingredients until batter is smooth and has no lumps.
5. Spray cooking into a frying pan (if you have a 6 inch or small one it’s the perfect size for a small single pancake)
6. Using a ¼ cup measuring cup (or just by eye) spoon batter into frying and cook over medium high heat for about 2-3 minutes the first side and 30 seconds to a minute.
7. While the first side in cooking sprinkle a small hand full of chocolate chips (roughly 15 chips) onto the top. Cook and then flip. (This way the chips will be warm but not burnt. So you are only putting chip onto one side of the pancake. The best way is to wait for the first side to start forming little bubbles on top and then little holes. That’ll tell you the bottom is cooked through and then flip and cook the other side for a minute or until golden brown on the bottom.)
8. You’ll get rough 1-2 dozen pancake depending on the size of each.
You can size these with anything you like from maple syrup and butter, or more elaborate toppings such as strawberries, strawberry syrup, chocolate syrup, whipped cream, ice cream or just about anything you like.