Whole Wheat "Depression" Quick Bread Recipe
Whole Wheat "Depression" Bread
Simple, quick whole wheat bread
This whole wheat quick bread is delicious, fast, and easy. The best part? This recipe doesn't require a bread maker. It's called "Depression bread" because it is made in bulk quantities for relatively cheap and with very little equipment.
It's perfect for those of us living a frugal or simple lifestyle. Instead of using regular flour, I used a whole wheat flour to improve the nutrient profile.
- 4.5 cups whole wheat flour
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 1.5 Tbsp yeast
- 1.5 cup warm water
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp sugar
Whole Wheat Quick Bread Steps
- Wash your hands. Stir flour and salt together in a mixing bowl.
- Make a hole in the salt and flour mixture. Pour yeast and sugar in the hole. Pour warm water in the hole over the yeast and mix with your finger to dissolve.
- Once dissolved, begin to mix in the loose flour. Continue kneading until you have a dough ball. If you need to add a bit more warm water, add a very small amount at a time, slowly.
- Set dough ball aside. Clean and dry the bowl, then spread the olive oil all over the bowl.
- Place the ball into the oiled bowl. Flip it over once. Cover top of bowl with a clean towel and place the bowl in a warm area. Wait about 1 hour for the dough to rise.
- After it's risen, punch it down and shape it into two loaves. Place each loaf into a loaf pan. If you don't have loaf pans, you can use a lightly floured cookie sheet and cover with a towel.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and let the dough rise for another half hour.
- Remove cloth and cook on center rack in the oven for 30 mins.