Whole Wheat Pizza Dough Recipe
Whole wheat pizza dough recipe
This is am amazing whole wheat pizza dough recipe I developed it my self in search of a healthy pizza. I love pizza so I figured I might as well make one that was good for me, so before we go any further lets understand the word whole. This is a definition from dictionary.com Whole: comprising the full quantity, amount, extent, number, etc., without diminution or exception; entire, full, or total: He ate the whole pie. They ran the whole distance. OK now that we established the definition of whole, I will continue.
Whole wheat pizza dough is made with 100% whole wheat flour not 1/2 whole wheat flour and 1/2 all purpose flour, every time I searched the Internet for a whole wheat pizza dough recipe the majority of the recipes I would find included all purpose flour as well as whole wheat flour, don't get me wrong the combination makes a great pizza dough or crust, however I wanted a healthy whole wheat pizza dough recipe so I created my own and even added a special healthy touch to it that you to may add if you like. So enough of the politics lets jump right into this amazing whole wheat pizza dough recipe with flax seed.
Whole wheat pizza dough recipe ingredients
Here's what you will need to make your whole wheat pizza dough.
- 3 1/2 cups 100% whole wheat flour and approx 1/2 cup for dusting
- 2 teaspoons of honey
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of table salt
- 1 tablespoon of active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 cups warm water approx 110 degrees
- 3 tablespoons of ground flax seed (optional)
- Add 1- 1/2 cups lukewarm water (110 degrees) to a medium sized bowl
- disolve 2 teaspoons of honey in the luke warm water
- Sprinkle the 1 tablespoon active dry yeast on top of the water mixture
- Set a timer for 10 minutes
Ten minutes later
After about 10 minutes the water mixture should foam up, letting you know the yeast was active.
- Next we will stir in the the salt and olive oil into the yeast mixture
- Now stir in the 3 1/2 cups of whole wheat flour
- and 3 tablespoons of ground flax seed If desired (I prefer Bob's Red Mill brand)
- Mix the ingredients until the dough starts to come together and then dump the dough onto a floured board or flat surface (I flour my surface with whole wheat flour also)
- Knead and fold the whole wheat pizza dough for a few minutes until all the whole wheat flour is absorbed, If the dough is a little sticky add a pinch more flour, now you will want to roll the whole wheat pizza dough into a smooth ball and place it into a medium to large sized oiled bowl (olive oil) turn to coat the dough, cover with a kitchen towel and let sit for an hour in a warm place. (I sit the bowl of dough on top of a small bowl filled with warm water, works great!)
After 1 hour
After about an hour, for this whole wheat pizza dough recipe, we will dump the dough onto a clean floured surface and cut the wheat pizza dough with flax seed in half and separate into two oiled bowls, cover for an additional hour. This will make 2 thin pizza crusts which is what I recommend. If you want to make just 1 thick crust whole wheat pizza dough than just skip this step and allow the dough to continue to rise for another hour (total of two.)
Pre heat the oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C)
- Flour your board or flat surface and Take 1 whole wheat dough ball and press it into a flat circle with your fingers working from the center out in a circular motion
- Next roll the dough with a rolling pin evenly until you reach your desired size (I use a 16" pizza pan and make it super thin, If you want it a little thicker use a standard 12" pan or pizza stone)
- If using a 16" pan for a super thin crust you will have to carefully drape the whole wheat pizza dough over your fists and gently stretch, be careful not to rip a hole in the dough. If you got skills you can also throw it up in the air spinning and catch it over your fists (kid's love it, even if you drop it on the floor or rip a hole in it)
- Once the wheat dough is to the proper size, a little larger than the pizza pan or exact size of a pizza stone, gently place the dough onto the pan. (you can oil your pan with olive oil or use cornmeal) I recommend using a newer, nonstick pan like Oneida you can get one for under $10 just put a small circle of olive oil in the center and spread it around with a paper towel. If using corn meal just sprinkle evenly.
Whole Wheat Pizza Dough Recipe
- Now it is time to trim the dough. With a clean pair of kitchen scissors carefuly trim around the pizza pan making the whole wheat dough look like a perfect circle.
- You will want to poke holes in your whole wheat pizza dough to eliminate air bubbles while cooking, I just use a fork and go around the whole pizza
- Next I take a mixture of extra virgin olive oil and minced garlic and baste the edge of the pizza crust, just around the outside edge.
- Now place your litlle pan of healthy perfection into the pre heated oven for about 5 minutes, after 5 minutes you are ready for your sauce, toppings and cheese.
Ok this should about do it for my Whole Wheat Pizza Dough Recipe, This pizza dough is so healthy for you, and I recommend adding the ground flax seed to the whole wheat dough for even more great nutritional benefits. Now that we have the dough we might as well finish the pizza. Since this is a healthy pizza I am going to use all vegetables, all natural homemade pizza sauce and all natural 2% milk fat mozzarella cheese.
- Cut your vegetables, I use fresh portobello mushrooms, red onion, green olives, black olives and fresh Roma tomatoes
- Add your homemade pizza sauce Pizza Sauce Recipe
- Add your all natural mozzarella cheese
- Bake to perfection approx 8 to 12 minutes
The Perfect Pizza
OK, we have made a whole wheat pizza dough recipe with flax seed and turned it into a healthy pizza, a pizza rich in whole grains, vegtables and fiber, Ohh yes fiber. I will give you a small warning, make sure you are up to date on your fiber one before you sit down and eat a whole 16" pizza. if you are not used to having fiber in your diet you may want to mix half white flour or just eat a piece or two. This is one of the main reasons I make a super thin crust pizza instead of a thick crust pizza, it would be like eating a case of fiber one bars (small exaggeration) vistit Pizza Dough Recipes For more great pizza recipes.
Like I said earlier this whole wheat pizza dough recipe will make 2 16" super thin crust pizza's If you don't want to use both at the same time you can wrap 1 in saran wrap and refrigerate or even freeze.
I truly hope you enjoy making this whole wheat pizza dough recipe it is very good and good for you, when ever making pizza try to include family and friends it's a great way to spend some quality time.