- Food and Cooking
Whole Wheat Sugar Free Banana Bread Recipe
My family eats a lot of bananas. They are, without a doubt, my twins’ favorite snack (and one of mine, too), so it’s rare to find several ripe bananas, which are required to make banana bread, in my house. But last week we lucked out: a friend gave us a bunch from her banana tree. And so, with a stockpile of the delicious fruit on hand, homemade banana bread was on the breakfast menu.
This recipe is a healthy alternative to the traditional banana bread. It uses 100% whole wheat flour, local honey instead of sugar, and all natural applesauce in lieu of oil.
My family and I love this recipe, and I hope you do too. Let me know what you think; leave your comments below.
- 4-5 bananas, mashed and very ripe
- 1/2 cup all natural applesauce
- 2 large eggs
- 3 TBS milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup local honey
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 TSB ground cinnamon
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- Preheat oven to 350 and lightly grease a 9x5 loaf pan
- In a large mixing bowl, mash bananas and add applesauce, honey, eggs, milk, and vanilla. Stir to combine.
- In a seperate bowl, mix all dry ingredients together then slowly add the mixture to wet ingredients until all is combined.
- Transfer the batter to the loaf pan and bake for 50-60 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.