- Food and Cooking»
- Cooking Ingredients»
- Fruit Ingredients
Why Lemons Are A Superfood
One Huge Health Benefit Of Lemons
They Are One Of The Most Alkalizing Foods
This health benefit is often misunderstood for the simple reason that people associate lemons as an acidic fruit. This is true to the extent that lemons are acidic whilst in their unconsumed state, however, once the lemon has been consumed it has an alkalizing affect on the body. This is because although lemons contain citric acid, they also have a high content of the very alkalizing minerals such as magnesium, sodium and potassium. The lemon is much more effective at alkalizing than most other fruits because other fruits have a high enough sugar content to inhibit the effect of the alkalizing minerals. Along with many other super foods such as asparagus, kale, spinach, broccoli and cucumber, lemons are one of the most alkalizing foods.
Why Is It Better To Have An Alkaline Diet?
From smaller benefits such as slowing the ageing process to bigger benefits such as helping to prevent problems like diabetes, cancer and arthritis, having an alkaline diet allows the body to function at its best by helping to neutralize the pH of the blood. A few other benefits include improved energy and memory, prevention of headaches and weight loss.
A Few Other Health Benefits Of Lemons
- Lose Weight- Lemons contain lots of pectin which is a fibre that decreases appetite.
- Improve Your Immune System- High amount of vitamin C help to fight colds.
- A Great Diuretic- Causes the body to excrete toxins at a faster rate for a healthier internal environment.
- Clears Skin And Helps You Maintain a Healthy Complexion- With a result of less toxins in the body, the pores of the skin remain in-tacked. This also helps with reducing the appearance of wrinkles, making hair shinier and renewing skin cells to create a healthy glow.
- Helps With Digestion- Causes stimulation of the liver which secretes acids that are used in digestion of foods.
- Helps To Prevent Strokes, Cardiovascular disease, Hypertension, Cancer and Arthritus- The lemon contains anti-inflammatory properties. The antioxidant vitamin C combats free radicals that are associated with causing cancerous cells.
- Helps With Absorption Of Iron: This is due to the high amount of vitamin C in lemons. Tip: Combine lemon juice with vegetables like spinach which have high amounts of iron in order to get the maximum absorption of iron.
Make Your Half Used Lemon Last Longer By Putting It In One Of These Food Preservers And Then In The Fridge
Juice Lemons With This Squeezer To Save The Effort And Inconvenience Of Having To Do It By Hand
The Juice From One Lemon Contains...
Vitamin A - 18 IU
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) - 0.034 mg
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) - 0.017 mg
Niacin - 0.084 mg
Folate - 9 mcg
Pantothenic Acid - 0.16 mg
Vitamin B6 - 0.067 mg
Vitamin C - 44.5 mg
Vitamin E - 0.13 mg
Potassium - 116 mg
Phosphorous - 13 mg
Magnesium - 7 mg
Calcium - 22 mg
Sodium - 2 mg
Iron - 0.5 mg
Selenium- 0.3 mcg
Manganese - 0.025 mg
Copper - 0.031 mg
Zinc - 0.05 mg
More Nutritional Data
- Amount Per 100 grams Daily Value.
- Calories: 29
- Total Fat: 0.3g = 0%
- Cholesterol: 0mg = 0%
- Total Carbohydrate: 9g = 3%
- Dietary fiber: 2.8g = 11%
- Sugar: 2.5g
- Protein: 1.1g = 2%
Have Lemon Juice By Drinking Lemon Water!
One of the major drawbacks with lemons is the inconvenience of not being able to simply peel and eat it whole as you would with an orange. This is due to the sourness of lemons and it means that if we decide to have one, we have to take the time to juice the lemon which can be a pain. However, drinking lemon juice in the form of lemon water is incredibly easy. Simply cut a few slices of lemon and add them to a glass of water to create a refreshing, diluted (not so sour!) and incredibly healthy, alkalizing drink. These slices of lemons will last all day long so keep topping up your glass to make the most of this internal body cleanser!
Have Lemon Juice With Meals!
Adding lemon juice to your meals not only makes them so much more healthy, but it also enhances the flavor. If ever you're struggling to think of a sauce to have with your meal, lemon juice is a really easy option which is likely to be much healthier than most other possible sauces such as tomato and brown sauce or mayonnaise. Lemon juice will compliment lots of different foods although I find that it goes best with fish and vegetables. You could make the lemon juice a little more tasty by adding some butter to it and heating it to create lemon butter sauce.
Make Your Comfort Snacks A Little Healthier!
If you'r a lover of pancakes like me but you tend to prefer syrup or jam rather than lemon and sugar, changing your pancake topping to the lemon and sugar option is a tip to make your pancakes slightly healthier. You should definitely make this change if you are a huge lover of pancakes and are considering making a slow transition to the alkaline diet. Another dessert that you could add lemon juice to would be a fruit salad.This is an extremely healthy dessert which people tend not to associate lemon juice with. Adding lemon juice to a fruit salad is a great way to further boost your vitamin C intake so why not give it a try.
Next Time You Go Shopping, Remember To Get Some Lemons!
© 2016 Alex