Wonton Prawn Dumpling Soup
During my childhood days, mom used to make homemade dumpling soups which are filled with minced pork , a couple of large juicy prawns and chopped chives.
Although I dislike the odor of the smelly chives, I don't mind eating prawn wonton dumplings on cold days especially rainy days to keep me off from flu and colds.. Soups helps you to stay hydrated and boost with assorted nutrients for your body.
In addition to dumplings with fillings, this soup makes a perfect simple light and nutritious meal for weight watchers too.
What is Dumpling Soup?
These delicate little prawn dumplings are filled with minced meat , prawns and chopped vegetables such as chives, spring onions or carrots.
Wonton wrappers are made from flour, water, egg and salt, mixed into a soft firm dough. Flatten into thin layer, cut into round or square shapes.
Each of these wrappers are coated with flour in order to prevent them from sticking to each other.
Dumpling Recipe Ingredients
These are the ingredients you need to prepare:
- Shrimps or Tiger Prawns
- Chives. If you hate chives as much as I do, you can replace it with scallions or spring onions.
- A pack of wonton wrapper. You can buy square or round shape wonton wrappers which is yellowish color, comes a a stack.
- Homemade chicken broth or use Knorr chicken, anchovies cube.
Which is wonton wrapper?
Wonton wrapper is yellowish in color, either in square or round shape, about the size of your palm.
Rice paper wrapper is WHITE in color, square shape only.
How to Make Dumpling Soup?
This is an extremely easy dumpling soup you can make from scratch eventhough for a newbies.
- The first step is to prepare the dumpling fillings.
- Next, wrap the wonton wrap with the fillings and seal the dumpling with a little water.
- Finally, bring the broth to boil, dump in the dumplings until the little ones float to the surface.
How to eat a dumpling ?
The best method is eat a dumpling is to eat the whole piece in ONE BITE!
Which means, put in a piece of dumpling into your mouth and munch it!
- 1 packet wanton skins
- 200g lean pork or chicken, minced
- 200g shrimps or tiger prawns, remove shells, heads, tails
- a few strands scallions or chives, washed and chopped
- a handful waterchestnuts, peeled and minced
- a quarter carrot, peeled and cut intro strips
- half Bombay or red onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons light soysauce
- a few dash white pepper
- Cai xin ( mustard greens)
- Chinese cabbage
- spring onions or scallions or chives
- bak choi ( pak choy )
- celery sticks
- To prepare the fillings, combine minced pork, prawns, waterchestnuts, carrot and onions together. Mix well.
- Marinate the mixture with light soy sauce, sesame oil and pepper.
- Leave aside for 15 min
- scoop up a spoonful of little meat filling into the half of the wanton skin.
- Fold over and seal the edges with a little water, dab along the edges.
- Set the dumpling aside.
- Bring the chicken stock to boil.
- Add in the vegetables, carrot sticks and onions.
- Add in the prepared dumplings one by one. When the dumpling floats, they are cooked, ready to eat.
- Season with pepper.
- Serve individual bowls. You can add in noodles if you prefer fuller meal.
Did you know?
A packet of wanton skins that yield approximately 50 pieces at a low price ($2.50) is worth the price.
You could make 50 little dumplings for your friends and family members !
How to prepare Prawn Dumplings
Although you can buy pre-packed dumplings at the supermarket, it is best to make your homemade dumplings as according to your desired seasoning and ingredients.
You will need waterchestnuts, carrots and spring onions for the dumpling fillings.
If you are out of waterchestnuts, you can replace it with yambean or white radish.
As for the seasoning, you don’t need MSG or salt at all.
A few teaspoon of light soy sauce ( less salt) and sesame oil to bring out the natural fragrance and tasty texture of the dumpling soup.
Homemade Chicken Broth
The Soup Base
You can either use Knorr Chicken， Beef or Anchovies stock cube if you are lazy to prepare homemade broth.
Alternatively, buy a can of chicken stock.
However, in order to prepare homemade chicken broth, you will need an hour earlier to prepare or simply dump in the chicken carcass into a slow cooker overnight.
Benefits of Homemade Broth
* Good for your bones and digestive system
* Natural essential ingredients from chicken carcass
* Non preservative used
* Consist of COLLAGEN , provide body with amino acids
How to prepare homemade chicken stock
Homemade chicken stock instructions
- Bring 3/4 pot of water to boil.
- Toss in chicken carcass or bones.
- Toss in 1 large red onion , cut into halves
- Toss in 1 medium carrot, cut into chunks
- Toss in bite sizes of cabbages
- Season with salt and pepper
- Simmer until the chicken stock reduced to half pot
- Approximately takes 1 hour
How to boil chicken broth
During the ancient era, the Mongols soldiers brought along small dumplings with to feed their hunger pangs while fighting in a war from China to Turkey. These dumplings were filled with assorted vegetables and various meats including horse meat !
Can I Freeze Dumplings?
Yes, you can freeze the excess wanton prawn dumplings into the freezer.
- In order to freeze dumplings, you MUST place each of the dumplings on a parchment lined baking sheet that will fit into a zipper bag.
- Coat each dumpling with a little flour to prevent it from sticking to the parchment paper.
- Ensure that each of the dumpling is space out. Do not touch each other.
- Transfer them into a zipper bag. Place them into the freezer.
- You can keep these dumplings for a couple of months.
- When you feel the kick of having warm dumpling soup, pick out several frozen dumplings, place them on a plate to thaw.
- It takes around 30 minutes to thaw before you can boil or fry the dumplings.
Are you going to make this Wonton Prawn Dumpling Soup?
More Peachpurple Recipes to Share
- 5 Mouth Watering Salad Recipes For Summer
Easy healthy healthy salad recipes for low cholesterol diet and weight watchers. Easy to prepare, delicious and perfect for lunch or midnight snack. Try these healthy lunch recipe for a change
- Low Cholesterol Tom Yum Fried Rice Vermicelli
Rice vermicelli is commonly known as "beehoon" or "bihun" locally. It is low in cholesterol, non-oily, blends well with any ingredients such as meat, vegetables and read-made paste. You can cook rice vermicelli either in soup or stir fry which is the
- 4 Easy Brewing Tea Methods
how to brew tea? chinese tea, english tea all require hot boiling water. Brewing different types of tea requires different cups, teapots, amount of hot water and the duration to infusion the tea leave
- Top 5 Fabulous Fried Rice
Fried rice is one of the staple cuisine in Asian countries. People love to eat fried rice as it is filling and comes in various ingredients that makes the fried rice extra special.
© 2020 peachy