World's Best Flax Seed Bread Recipe
Why Should You Eat Flaxseed?
Flaxseed is one of those incredible foods -- it's high in omega-3 fatty acids (that's good fat) it lowers cholesterol, decreases blood pressure, lowers blood tryglicerides, provides antioxidants and may play a role in decreasing your risk of cancer.
But maybe you're thinking -- if it's that good for me, it must taste awful (or... you might be thinking: so how am I going to get my family and loved ones to eat something so "healthy"?)
Read on. I have great news for you.
The Problem With "Healthy" Breads
Let's face it -- we all know we're supposed to eat more whole wheat bread, more fiber... but it's hard to do sometimes because it seems so dense and heavy.
And, uh, they taste AWFUL.
I've got good news!
Here's a recipe for a flaxseed bread that is absolutely fantastic! It's light, soft, incredibly aromatic, and makes some of the best toast you've ever eaten.
How do you get your family and loved ones to eat more healthily? By baking something they'll enjoy eating.
The Ingredients For Delicious Flaxseed Bread
1 tablespoon active dry yeast
1 3/4 cups of warm water
1/8 cup sugar
1 tablespoon canola oil
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup flaxseed meal
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
A Few Quick Flaxseed Notes
I think it's best, and cheapest, to buy the whole flaxseeds.
To make one cup of flaxseed meal, put 2/3 cup (that's right, only 2/3 of a cup) of flaxseeds in your food processor and run it on high for about one minute. It will soon have the consistency of cornmeal. And you'll have a full cup. That's all there is to it.
Another advantage of flaxseeds is that you can add a tablespoon of them to your morning cereal, or in a smoothie, or in your spice bread, or eat them with peanut butter. There are so many easy ways to let your body take advantage of this amazingly healthful food!
How to Make World's Best Flaxseed Bread
Here are the easy instructions:
1. Dissolve your yeast in the warm water. This takes about 5 minutes -- the water will become creamy-looking.
2. Add to this the sugar, oil, salt, flaxseed meal and one cup of whole wheat flour. Mix this with your spoon till it's incorporated -- really easy to do.
3. Now, add in the other cup of whole wheat flour and stir... then add in your one cup of all-purpose flour. Mix till it holds together -- this will only take a minute or two.
4. Attach the dough hook to your stand mixer, put in the dough and let the mixer knead this dough for AT LEAST 10 minutes. Set the timer. If it kneads it for 12 minutes, no problem. If you don't have a stand mixer, then knead by hand on a floured countertop for about 10 - 15 minutes.
5. Spray a large bowl with cooking spray and put the dough into it, then spray the top of it. You just want to moisten the outside of it so it won't stick to the bowl.
6. Let it rise till it has FULLY DOUBLED. Depending on the temperature, this could happen in about an hour, or upwards of two hours. Focus on the dough, not the time -- when it has doubled, then you're ready to go.
7. Spray a bread pan (9" X 5") with cooking spray.
8. Punch down your dough (don't knead it any more) and put it into your bread pan. Shape it with your oil-covered hands so it fits snugly into the pan.
9. Let the bread rise till it has come up about 1 1/2 inches above the top of the pan.
10. Preheat the oven to 350F -- bake the bread for about 40 - 45 minutes. Once it's done, put it on your counter to cool for about 5 minutes.
11. Remove it from the bread pan (it comes out easily) and let it come to room temperature (if you can wait that long!) or at least till it's only barely warm so it will easily slice.
Lord Have Mercy It's Good!
This recipe makes the lightest, most delicious bread! It's soft like white bread, but of course has all the healthy ingredients that your heart and body needs.
Are you on a diet? Did you know that flaxseed is a natural appetite suppressant? I eat a piece, toasted, for breakfast, and am full till lunch, sometimes till the early afternoon. It's really amazing.