- Food and Cooking
Yellow Rice My Favorite Breakfast
This morning, I ate yellow rice and drank tea for breakfast. Yellow rice is a famous food in Indonesia. It has been a tradition that people in this country eat yellow rice on many occasions ranging from birthday party to wedding celebration. Yellow rice is not luxurious cuisine. It is food for all people and all classes of society. The most important thing is that it is delicious.
When you visit Indonesia, you can see mothers sell yellow rice along the streets in big and small cities. Yellow rice can be eaten with fried chicken or fish. If you don't have a chance to visit Indonesia to try this tropical food, you can try to cook it at home. Below is the recipe on how to cook yellow rice.
Food Ingredients :
- 1 liter of rice
- 1/4 liter of coconut milk
- 1 table spoon grated kunyit (in English it is called turmeric). Boil it with 50 cc of water and filter it. You will get yellow liquid.
- 2 pieces of daun pandan (pandanus) leaves which you need to tear and tie up
- 2 pieces of Indonesian bayleaf
- 1 piece of lemongrass
- 1 table spoon of salt
- 1 tea spoon of citrus juice
How to cook the yellow rice
- Mix the coconut milk and the turmeric liquid, pandanus leaves and salam leaves, lemongrass and salt and boil them.
- Steam the rice until it is half-done, and put it inside a cooking pan, pour the boiling coconut milk and stir it until it has been absorbed by the rice completely.
- Add the citrus juice, and stir it again, then steam the rice again until it is completely done or cooked.
You might need to practice cooking this favorite Indonesian dish several times before you become an expert in yellow rice making. You can eat the yellow rice with chicken, fish, meat, and vegetable. Because it is cooked with coconut milk, its taste is deliciously oily and salty. Sometimes, when you eat yellow rice in an Indonesian restaurant, you will see cracker in your plate. Indonesian like to eat crackers all the time. Most people in Indonesia drink sweet ice tea or cool water after eating yellow rice.
Tea - your best companion while eating yellow rice
Because yellow rice is cooked with coconut milk, it is oily. The best drink that is good for your mouth and throat while eating a plate of yellow rice is tea. I always drink tea in the morning and in the afternoon. Tea is good for our health because it has anti-oxidant properties. Because I drink tea, every day, one day I decided to make a watercolor sketch of the teapot which I usually use for drinking tea. It is not an expensive porcelain teapot. It's only a mass produced glass-teapot. Painting with watercolor is my hobby and I consider the teapot as a good object worth painting. As you can see on the right, I was able to make a sketch of the teapot one day in the morning. It did not take much of my time. I started sketching it at 9 a.m. and finished coloring it at 11 a.m.
However, we must not forget that although rice is the main staple food of people in Asia, it does not mean that all of us here eat only rice. In areas such as the interior region of Borneo, and the Moluccan islands, people eat taro, sweet potatoes and sago as their staple food. by Charles Roring