Healthy Strawberry Banana Smoothie
Strawberry and banana go together like milk and cookies, just a whole lot healthier. This healthy easy to make snack is great for your kids after school or a refreshing summer drink for yourself. It takes minimal preparation and clean up. If you are not a strawberry and banana fan, then use different types of berries like raspberries, blueberries, or any others that you enjoy. By adding yogurt to the mixture, it gives it the added benefit of health for your digestive tract, while also containing antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals with very few artificial sugars.
Fruit Smoothie Ingredients
- 1/2 cup strawberry yogurt
- a splash of apple juice or grape juice
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh pre-washed strawberries
- 1 banana cut into four pieces, frozen or fresh
- optional: 1 cup preferably crushed ice, although whole ice will do if other options are not available, if you use frozen bananas, ice is unnecessary
- optional: 1/4 cup of any berry of your choice (raspberries, blueberries, etc.)
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||18|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 2 g||3%|
|Saturated fat 1 g||5%|
|Unsaturated fat 1 g|
|Carbohydrates 78 g||26%|
|Sugar 41 g|
|Fiber 7 g||28%|
|Protein 6 g||12%|
|Cholesterol 3 mg||1%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
How to Make a Strawberry Banana Smoothie
- Any blender will do, although they make special smoothie blenders. I will admit my smoothie blender does make smoothies a little quicker, but I use both my smoothie maker and blender and they both do great! When making a smoothie, always pour your liquids in the blender first. When making yogurt smoothies, I always add the yogurt first, then a splash of apple or grape juice. The juice will help the smoothie be a tad sweeter. It is a better alternative than using sugar.
- Once you add the liquids, it is time to add the fruit. In this case, you will be adding a quarter cup of sliced strawberries and a whole banana. You can also use any type of berry as well. Added fruit will only enhance the flavor.
- Once all the ingredients have been added, you then want to add the ice on top. This is important, because if you place the ice on the bottom, it will take much longer to blend. I prefer to use crushed ice, as this causes the smoothie to blend more quickly and thoroughly.
- Next it is time to blend. On a regular blender, I press puree and hold it down for about thirty seconds. If needed, I then will stir the mixture and puree for another thirty seconds, until the smoothie is completely smooth. You will know when it is smooth, because you there will be no clunking of ice. If the smoothie seems too thick, add another splash of juice.
- Finally, pour mixture into a cup, and enjoy! I like to keep straws around, because I am convinced it tastes better through a straw! I believe your kids will agree!
Delicious Cold Fruity Drink
Health Benefits of a Strawberry Banana Yogurt Smoothie
- If you split this drink with someone, it has less than 200 calories. This makes for the perfect snack.
- WIth the yogurt and fruits it contains a lot of nutrients and minerals. The smoothie is full of vitamin C, which will benefit your immune system, and make you more capable of fighting off colds and the flu.
- Will help your eye health and arthritis because it is full of antioxidants, which allows your tissues to better repair themselves. Antioxidants in strawberries specifically target eye health, as well as helps reduce the symptoms of arthritis.
- Its muscle repairing qualities, make it a great choice for after a nice workout.
- Yogurt smoothies, in general, are great choices for women due to the calcium it provides. This calcium will help strengthen your bones. It will also help with overall digestive health, including balancing the correct levels of enzymes in your digestive tract.
- Bananas and strawberries are full of fiber, which helps with digestion.
- Strawberries have folate, which is great for pregnant woman, since folate helps build the spinal cord. This will really nourish your baby.
In short, Strawberry Banana Yogurt Smoothies are a great healthy choice for everyone. Not only is it relatively low in calories, but also it is full of nutrients that your body needs to repair and maintain a healthy lifestyle. Remember to include a very colorful diet, as the more colors you have in your diet, the more nutrients you are getting. Other high quality food include: milk, zucchini, green peppers, apples, etc.
© 2012 Angela Michelle Schultz