- Food and Cooking
Pea Salad Recipe
Mmm. You can't go wrong with Pea Salad. Great for hot summer day barbecues and/or potlucks all year round. What is fun about peas salad is it's versatile. You can add or substitute ingredients to enhance or make it unique. Here is a basic pea salad recipe with suggestions and options to add variety.
- 1 - 16 oz bag frozen baby peas
- 4 - 6 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
- 1 - 8 oz. can water chestnuts, sliced
- 3 or 4 green onions, sliced, depending on your taste
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese, (set aside small handful)
- 1/3 cup olive oil mayo
- 1 or 2 stalks celery, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook bacon and drain. When cool, crumble and set aside.
- While waiting for bacon to cool, run peas under cool water for a few minutes in a colander. Drain till ready to use.
- Slice up onion, celery, and water chestnuts i(f they didn't come sliced).
- Throw all ingredients in salad bowl, except a little crumbled bacon and shredded cheese, and toss thoroughly.
- Sprinkle reserved bacon and cheese on top to garnish.
- Chill 20 minutes and serve.
More Salad Recipes by Lambservant
- Cole Slaw with Tarragon Vinegar
If you are looking for a new twist in your traditional cole slaw this will not disappoint.
- Exceptional Marinated Four Bean Salad
An exceptional four bean salad that's in a class by itself.
- Creamy Dill Dressing
This creamy, tangy, dill dressing is perfect for jazzing up fresh, raw vegetables, and dressing salads.
Optional additional or substitute ingredients
Here are some great ingredients to either substitute or add to make your pea salad extra yummy and unique.
Sauces: Ranch dressing or sour cream, plain yogurt.
Veggies: Green and/or red pepper, red onion, chives
Cheese: Fresh grated parmesan, or try cubed cheddar instead of shredded, cottage cheese
Nuts/Seeds: Cashews, almonds (flavored or plain salted)
Seasonings: Cracked pepper, cayenne pepper, yellow curry powder, or fresh dill to season or spice it up a bit.
Other proteins: Hard boiled eggs, sliced. Canned or fresh salmon flakes.