- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes
You Had Me at Espresso. (Brownies that is.)
Best Two Things to Come in a Pair
Coffee and chocolate are my two favorite things in the world. They go together like peanut butter and jelly, turkey and gravy, Justin Beiber and bad press---ok, you get the idea.
So when I saw this recipe in the latest issue of Real Simple Magazine, it stopped me in my tracks. They only thing better than eating these two together in a brownie would be sipping espresso while eating chocolate in a French cafe. Since that isn't happening for me anytime soon, this seemed like the next best option.
I'm a latte addict
Coffee is a Bit of an Obsession
I admit it. I live in the coffee capital of the nation, Seattle, and there is no better place for someone like me. Just hearing words like "cold-pressed", "house roasted" and "small batch" gets my heart racing. And that's before I have even had any coffee!
I moved here in 1998 and haven't looked back. I was ordering Starbucks beans to my door in Minneapolis back in 1995 before anyone had even heard the name. And now, my tastes are way too refined for Starbucks. (Or maybe it was just better back then before they became the "fast food" of coffee.)
Ghiradelli Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips Makes These Even Better
I don't know what it is about Ghiradelli Chocolate Chips but they seem bring these brownies up to an entire new level. The original recipe didn't call for them but I added them just because. I highly recommend you do as well.
Best. Brownie. Ever.
The secret? I think the brown sugar is part of it--I have never had such a moist, chewy brownie. I also made this recipe my own by adding only half the amount of espresso since I wanted a more subtle coffee taste to come through.
This brownie is the bomb. It reminds me of when you order the warm brownie with ice cream at a great restaurant. (These are even better re-heated the next day.) I say send a batch to the next legislative session with cold milk to go around. You'd be surprised at how much can be accomplished with these babies in the room.
You Had Me At Espresso Brownies
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) Butter, plus more for pan
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon brewed strong coffee or espresso
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup Ghiradelli Chocolate Chips
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter an 8-inch square pan well.
- Whisk together the flour, cocoa, salt and baking powder in a medium bowl; set aside.
- Combine butter and unsweetened chocolate in a large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high in 30-second intervals, stirring in-between until melted. Let cool slightly.
- Whisk in the sugars, eggs, espresso and vanilla until smooth. Add the flour mixture and mix until just combined. Fold in the Ghiradelli Chocolate Chips. Spread the batter into prepared pan and bake until a toothpick in center comes out with just a few crumbs attached, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Let cool completely in the pan. Cut into 16 squares.