Yummy Beet Coleslaw
A Serving Rich in Texture as Well as Flavor!
How Did Your Taste Buds Sing?
A Kaleidoscope of Colors Awaits Your Taste Buds
As harvest time approaches for fruits and vegetables what could be more appealing on a hot summer day then a cool crisp salad for your taste buds to savor!
This salad is exceptional in taste that melds together flavors in a harmony that sings earthly goodness.
I choose to use the red leafy cabbage instead of the traditional white cabbage in this recipe for its nutritional value and color. I also use the golden orange beets instead of the traditional red beets to play off the color of the red cabbage. This salad when served is visually a kaleidoscope of colors as well as textures that plays well with your taste buds with each delicious bite!
Nutritional Value: I am going to rate this recipe as a 5!!
**Note: I rate my recipes on a scale of 1-5 with 5 being the healthiest!!!:
- 1 Medium Red Cabbage, Shred
- 6 Medium Size Golden Beets, Cooked, peeled, cut
- 3 Medium Size Carrots, Shredded
- 1 Medium Size Gala Apple, Cut into small cubes
- 1/3 Cup Honey
- !/3 Cup Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/3 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/4 Cup Sunflower Seeds, Salted
- 1/4 Cup Parsley, Curly, Chopped
- 6-8 Each Green Onions, Chopped
- To Taste Ground Black Pepper
Preparing the vegetables for mixing with wet ingrediants!
- Scrub beets with vegetable brush under cold water. Put in appropriate size pan and fill with cold water. Cook beets on medium high heat, partially covered. When water comes to a boil time for approximately 30 minutes. I test the tenderness of the beets by pricking them with a fork, they should not be mushy.
- Prepare a glass or stainless steel bowl with ice water. When beets are cooked to desired tenderness remove one beet at a time from boiling water and submerge in ice water bath for approximately 3 minutes. Outside layer of skin should peel off easily with fingers or paring knife.
- Set beets aside to cool completly.
- Wash and shred red cabbage. Chop green onions. Shred carrots. Cube Gala apple. Cut cooled beets into matchstick size pieces. Put all ingredients into large bowl.
- In a medium size bowl combine apple cider vinegar, honey and olive oil, and pepper to taste. Wisk all ingredients thoroughly and then pour over vegetables in bowl. Add parsley, and salted sunflower seeds to bowl. Mix all ingredients until vegetables are coated thoroughly with wet mixture.
- Spoon coleslaw into glass bowl for refrigerator storage. Garnish with additional sprigs of parsley!