- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes»
- Soup Recipes
Yummy Ham and 15 Bean Soup
A Hearty Soup for a Winter Meal
For us, it's a tradition on January 2nd to make bean soup. New Year's Day we have ham, and it makes sense to use the broth and ham bone for a yummy soup the next day. You don't have to wait for New Year's though, as this soup is welcome anytime you have cold weather.
It's easy to fix and is inexpensive. Think of the ingredients (a ham bone, some broth, beans, carrots, onions). This is a meal that your Depression-era grandparents or great grandparents would be glad to serve.
Because it is a broth-based soup, not a cream soup, it's also relatively low in calories. It uses a minimal amount of meat but isn't vegetarian.
Best of all, it just tastes so darn good. We usually have whole wheat bakery rolls with it. I remember when Mom served bean soup in the 1950s we had buttered slices of bread with it or she would make cornbread. She used to make it on laundry day so the beans could simmer all day long without any effort on her part.
Mom used navy beans for her soup but I think she would like the way I make it with 15 different beans. We sure love it.
My Yummy Bean Soup
Your Yummy Ingredients
- 1 20 ounce package bean assortment (15 kinds), Hurst's HamBeens Brand
- 8 cups liquid, ham broth or water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 1 sticks celery, chopped
- 1 14.5 ounce can chopped tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 or 4 bay leaves
- fresh cilantro, cut up (reserve this to use when you serve the soup)
Here's What To Do
- Check the beans to be sure there are no sticks/stones/etc. in with them. Rinse them in a colandar. Soak the beans overnight in a large pot with 8 cups of water.
- The next day, drain the beans and place in a large crockpot or slow cooker. Add 8 cups of liquid. I use the broth from the ham baked the day before.
- Chop the vegetables and add them to the liquid
- Cook on high in the slow cooker for 3 hours and then on low for another 5 hours.
- Remove the ham bone and take off any bits of ham. Return the meat to the soup and dispose of the bone.
- Serve with warm rolls to dip into the soup. Sprinkle chopped fresh cilantro on the bowl of soup.
Yummy Ham and Bean Soup
Prepping the Beans
Check and Rinse the Beans
Hambeen's 15 Bean Soup
What Beans Are in the 15 Bean Soup?
The Hurst Company puts northern, pinto, large lima, yelloweye, and baby lima beans plus split pea, kidney, yellow split pea, small white, pink, small red, lentil, navy, white kidney, black bean and cranberry bean in its soup package.
If you are like me, you've never heard of some of these. Trust me, you'll like them just fine.
Making the Broth for the Soup
Next Step for the 15 Bean Soup
Add the Vegetables and Seasoning
Simmer the Ham and Bean Soup All Day
The Soup Is Almost Done
A Slow Cooker Works Great for Soup Making
For soup, I use my really large slow cooker. Eight quart is as big as I've found. The things you want in a cooker like this is a cool exterior and a lift-out liner that can go in the dishwasher.
If you don't have a slow-cooker, you can use a traditional soup pot. Just keep the heat low and stir it often.
This one is top-notch. Check out the positive reviews on Amazon.
Yummy 15 Bean Soup
© 2016 Virginia Allain