- Food and Cooking»
- Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes
Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies
After enjoying these cookies for a long time I have found some that are even better. Don't believe me? Try them for yourself! I adapted this recipe from Isa Chandra Moskowitz's "Vegan With a Vengeance". They're not healthy, but they're goooooood.
Cookies are a major thing I missed when I became vegan, until I started experimenting with vegan baking! These cookies are my favorite so far. They taste very substantial, are nice and soft inside, and have an almost cake-like texture. They're also perfect for dishing up to friends with dairy or egg allergies!
- 1/2 cup Vegan Butter, (I used Earth Balance Soy Free Spread)
- 3/4 cup Raw Cane Sugar
- 2 tbsp Maple Syrup, (Honey is nice too for non-vegans!)
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- 2 cups Plain Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- Choc Chips, (Semi-sweet or vegan. Both are dairy free)
- 1/4 cup Almond Milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 deg F or 180 deg C.
- In a small bowl, beat the butter on its own to soften it up. Then add the sugar and beat well.
- Stire in the vanilla essence and syrup and mix well.
- In a separate bowl mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until blended. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Add the almond milk in stages until the mixture forms into a sticky dough.
- Spoon the mixture onto parchment sheets. Flatten them to your desired thickness and pop them in the oven for 8-10 mins or until they are lightly browned. If they are browning too quickly place a layer of tinfoil over them. Remember they will firm up a bit once they cool down!
- Cool the cookies on a wire cooling rack and serve! If they are not all devoured, place them in an airtight container where they should keep for about a week.
© 2012 Emer Kelly