- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Yunnan Fish Casserole
Autumn best Yunnan Fish Casserole
- 2-3 500g carp (bream, mullet )
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 dried mushrooms (soaked for 15 minutes and stems removed)
- 1 pair pork trotters
- 1/2 breakfast cup bamboo-shoots
- 90g bacon (or ham)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 clove garlic ( crushed)
- 2 slices root ginger (chopped)
- 1 medium onion (sliced)
- 250g celery (cut in 1 in. segments)
- 2 cakes bean curd (cut into 1 in. squared)
- 1 teaspoon dried shrimps
- 600ml chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons soya sauce
- 2 tablespoons sherry
- 1/4 teaspoon pap per
- 1/2 chicken cube
- Clean the fish thoroughly and rub with salt inside and out.
- Simmer trotters gently in 1 1/2 pints water for 11/4 hours.
- Slice the trotters and the bacon into slices 2 ins. × 1 in. × 1/4 in.
- Add mushrooms and bamboo shoots and continue to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Heat oil in large casserole.
- Add garlic, ginger and onion.
- Stir-fry together for 11/2 minutes.
- Lay the fish in the oil and fry for 2 minutes on each side.
- Add celery, bean curd, dried shrimps and chicken broth,soya sauce, sherry,pepper and the chicken cube.
- Bring to the boil, add the trotters, mushrooms, bamboo-shoots, and bacon and cover the casserole.
- Cook in an oven per-heated to 375°F, gas5, for half an hour.
- Serve in the casserole.
#Chinese dried mushrooms is the best. The best ingredients could be obtained during autumn. When using fish please take extra care to use fresh fish to obtain the authentic taste.