Zesty Wonton Taco Cups
Please rate this recipe
Serve as appetizers or eat several for a meal
The inspiration behind the recipe
I am rummaging around the kitchen trying to come up with something for dinner. I look in the freezer and spy a package of ground turkey. Ok-I can do something with that. Maybe a burger? I don't think so. I am not really in a burger mood. Tacos! That's the ticket! I start to gather ingredients. Darn it! No taco shells. Now what? I look in the fridge for inspiration. Eureka! a package of wonton wrappers. That should do the trick. Here is the result.
- 1 1/4 pounts ground turkey
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 bell pepper (any color you like, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, chopped, seeds and veins removed
- 1 large or 3 to 4 small cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 14.5 ounce can refried beans
- to taste Chipotle Grinder Seasoning
- about 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- about 1/4 teaspoon cheyenne pepper
- to taste salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 package wonton wrapper
- cherry tomatoes, for topping
- cheese (I used queso fresco), for topping
- cooking spray
Easy to assemble
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Over medium heat, begin to brown the turkey in the olive oil. Add in the onion, jalapeno, bell pepper, and garlic when the meat is about halfway cooked.
- After the veggies become tender, add in the chipotle seasoning, oregano, cheyenne, salt, and pepper. Make sure you taste the mixture and adjust the seasoning to your preference.
- Stir in the tomato paste. Allow the mixture to cook for about a minute to develop the tomato flavor. Add in the water. You won't need much water. You just want to keep the meat from being too dry. Add in the refried beans. Allow the mixture to cook until beans are well incorporated and heated through. Adjust seasoning as desired.
- Spray a muffin tin with a little non-stick cooking spray. Put one wonton wrapper into each cup.
- Bake the wontons for about 3 to 5 minutes. You just want to see them begin to brown on the edges.
- Fill the wonton cups with the meat mixture. Top with your favorite cheese.
- Bake the taco cups until the cheese is melted (about 5 to 8 minutes)
You can create a little topping bar so everyone can customize their own taco.
These were so good I ate six for dinner.
© 2015 Vicki Holder