- Food and Cooking
Zucchini Bread with Chocolate, Cherries and Pecans
Fresh Out of the Oven
Zucchini Bread Varriations
- There are so many different ways that you can make zucchini bread.
- Omit the nuts and make a double chocolate zucchini bread using Hershey Kisses.
- Peanut butter chips go well with zucchini and mashed bananas.
- If you'd like to try this recipe as a plain zucchini bread then simply omit the pecans, chocolate chips and cherries.
Ingredients that go nicely in zucchini bread
Chocolate Pecan Cherry Zucchini Bread
When the fall season begins, I like to start baking and filling my freezer for Christmas and New Years. Zucchini bread freezes quite well and tastes just as good as fresh once defrosted and slightly heated with a dab of butter.
If you've never had zucchini bread before it is a moist sweet bread that can be eaten as a dessert, in the afternoon with a coffee or tea, or anytime you want something for a little treat. My family loves to see this bread packed in their lunches.
When making this bread I usually split it up and make two regular size loaves and three or four mini loaves.
They are great if you give baking away at Christmas or if you do some type of cookie or bread exchange. If going to a potluck or family get together a loaf or two of zucchini bread is always welcomed.
I would send mini loaves with my Children to school when they were younger and needed something for a bake sale. The mini loaves are also big sellers at bazaars and at charity events.
Cook Time will vary depending on bread pan size
- 4 cups of zucchini, grated
- 4 cups of all-purpose flour
- 3 cups of white sugar, granulated
- 4 tsp. of baking soda
- 4 tsp. of salt
- 4 tsp. of cinnamon
- 1 cup of vegetable or canola oil, I use canola oil
- 6 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup of chocolate chips, add 1/2 cup extra if you'd like the bread more chocolaty
- 1 cup of pecan pieces
- 15 - 30 maraschino cherries, either whole or cut in half
- shortening, for greasing the bread pans
- extra flour, for dusting the bread pans
Step by Step PicturesClick thumbnail to view full-size
"We may live without friends, we may live without books, but civilized man cannot live without cooks."
Edward Robert Bulwer-Lytton (1831-1891)
English diplomat and poet
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour either 4 regular bread pans or 2 regular pans and 3 mini pans.
- Grate 2-3 medium sized zucchinis. You will need to yield a total of 4 cups grated. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Make sure to mix really well.
- Add the oil to the dry ingredients mixture and mix well. In a bowl beat all the eggs and add mix into the batter
- In a medium size bowl beat all the eggs and add into the batter mixing well.
- Stir in the chocolate chips and mix. Then do the same with the pecans.
- With a one cup measure or soup ladle spoon the mixture into the baking pans. You don't want to fill the pans as the bread needs space to rise while cooking.
- Divide up the maraschino cherries and push them into the batter.
- Place the pans into the oven. The larger loaf pans will take approximately one hour to cook. The mini loaves will take 30 - 35 minutes. It's always best to check the small pans after they've been in the oven for 25 minutes and the larger pans at 50 minutes.
- Remove from the oven once baked and let cool for 15 minutes before removing the loaves from the pans. Then continue to cool on a rack.
- Slice, serve with or without butter, and ENJOY!
Does this sound like something you may like? Please rate my recipe.
I find that these mini loaf pans work great for baking small loaves of zucchini bread. They're easy to wash and can be used over and over again. They're also good for an individual serving of meat loaf.