- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
So What Do You Think?
What Should We Do With All Of Our Garden Zucchini?
After three years of failed vegetable gardens, this year we finally had a successful harvest, mostly tomatoes, peppers, and zucchini, lots of zucchini. So much zuchinni that we couldn't give it away. To keep from wasting our harvest of zucchini, we made tons of zucchini bread and several experimental dishes using zucchini as a main ingredient. This recipe is simple and easy to make with ingredients commonly found in most pantries or are easily found in nearly every grocery store.
Preparation and finished product.
- 1 Extra Large Zuchini, At Least 10" L and 3" Diameter
- 1 to 1.5 LBS Ground Beef, The leaner the better.
- 4TBS Garlic, I use tubed Gourmet Garlic
- 1TBS Salt
- 1/2 TBS Pepper
- 1/2 Cup Parmesan Cheese
- 1/2 Cup Milk, I use 1% Milk
- 1/4 Cup Flour
- 2/3 Cup Hot Water, Hot tap water is fine.
- 2 TBS Dried Onions
Preparing Your Zuchini
- Wash the zucchini before cutting it in half along the length of the vegetable. Trim ends to fit pan if using a baking pan.
- Remove the seeds and seed membrane with spoon or melon baller.
- Use spoon or melon baller to remove white meaty part of zucchini until there is about a 1/2 inch of meat remaining, if remaining meat area is too thin it will break when served, chop removed meat and chop into small pieces and set aside zucchini meat, you will add it to the ground beef later.
- Place zucchini halves in baking pan or flat cookie sheet, spray top edges and inside of zucchini halves with spray cooking oil.
- Preheat oven broiler to 475 degrees and broil zucchini halves for 15 minutes checking after the first 9 minutes to make sure they are not burning.
- When edges are browned and the middle is a darker yellow to green, remove zucchini from broiler and reset oven to baking mode and lower temperature to 375 degrees.
- In a large frying pan start browning ground beef, add salt, pepper, garlic, dried onion, and left over chopped zucchini pulp. Mix ingredients well and continue to brown the ground beef until completely cooked. Once beef is cooked, pour off grease drippings.
- In a small bowl or large measuring cup add 1/2 cup of flour and 2/3 cup of hot water and wisk with a wisk or fork until smoothly blended. Pour mixture into ground beef.
- Add 1/2 of milk to beef mixture and stir until mixture is well blended, you should have a slightly thickened white sauce on your ground beef mixture.
- Spoon beef mixture into zucchini halves. Bake zucchini boats for 30 minutes. If your oven is hotter than you set it for, you can cover the zucchini with aluminum foil to keep the tops from burning.
- Remove zucchini from oven and immediately remove foil and sprinkle top of zucchini boats with parmesan cheese.
|Serving size: 4-6 ounces|
|Calories from Fat||63|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 7 g||11%|
|Saturated fat 6 g||30%|
|Unsaturated fat 1 g|
|Carbohydrates 0 g|
|Sugar 2 g|
|Fiber 4 g||16%|
|Protein 29 g||58%|
|Cholesterol 86 mg||29%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|