- Food and Cooking
A great Trifle recipe for Sunday dinner!
Trifle recipe for all of those special dinners!
This is a great recipe for a traditional trifle for that all important Sunday dinner! This version doesn't use any jelly, so if you have a few vegetarians with you for dinner, there's no need to crack open the 'special jelly' (FYI, my girlfriend is a vegetarian, so i don't mean to mock anyone!).
I used to make this regularly but other things have gotten in the way, so I thought I'd share the love and let others enjoy this trifle. It does include custard... but no worries, I always used shop-bought custard, so no worries about needing the fresh stuff! But if you have time, fresh is always best! Just sit down and enjoy!
- Prep time: 2 hours
- Cook time: -105 min
- Ready in: 15 min
- Yields: approx. 8
- 5 Trifle sponge cakes
- 200 g of Raspberries (or more)
- 5 tbsp Raspberry jam
- 300 ml of Double cream
- 3 Egg yolks
- 30 g of Caster sugar
- 60 g of Almonds
- Spread raspberry jam onto each piece of sponge cake.
- Then break the sponge cakes into pieces and place in bottom of large glass bowl.
- Sprinkle over the fresh raspberries.
- Next make a custard by gently heating ONE carton of double cream in a small saucepan.
- While the cream is heating, beat the egg yolks with the sugar in a bowl until golden yellow and smooth, then strain into clean bowl.
- Now pour the warm cream into it, and stir like billyo! Return custard to saucepan on a low heat and stir gently while it thickens. It should be thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon - then remove it from the heat and leave to cool down.
- Pour the cooled custard over the sponge cakes. Whip the other carton of cream, but not too stiffly, and spread over the custard.
- Sprinkle with the flaked almonds, and chill for a couple of hours before scoffing!