A Simple Ginger Carrot Soup for Thanksgiving
Thanksgiving is around the corner!
Every year I get together with my sons and their wives to discuss the Thanksgiving menu. With a full-time job and many mouths to feed, I decided a long time ago that I was not going to do all the cooking by myself during the holidays.
Don't get me wrong, I love to cook, but the stress of getting everything together (sometimes to feed 20 people) and feeling too tired to enjoy dinner by the time it's on the table, is just no fun. So we share the tasks of cooking for the holidays, that way everyone can relax and enjoy being together.
We have had fancy, exotic, traditional, not so traditional and even simple dinners. It's about being thankful for what we have anyway, and not to show off. One of the less complicated courses I have served is the Ginger Carrot Soup. There is no one in my family who does not like it and if there is enough, they all go back for a second bowl. If you're looking for a simple course, try this recipe out!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 onions, peeled and chopped
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 pounds carrots, peeled and sliced
- 3 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 cup whipping cream
- Sea salt and white pepper
- Sour cream
- Parsley sprigs, for garnish
- Melt butter in a pot, add onions and cook until onions are glazed.
- Add broth, carrots, and ginger. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and cook until carrots are tender enough to be pureed.
- Remove from heat, allow cooling for 5 minutes and then puree in batches in a blender.
- Cover the blender, remove the inner lid (or open one corner), thereby avoiding pressure build-up from hot liquid and chances of burning yourself.
- Hold a kitchen towel over the top of the blender to prevent spills.
- Pulse the blender and then puree until smooth.
- Return to the pan and add cream, stir over high heat until hot.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with a teaspoon of sour cream and parsley.
- Tip: Make this a vegetarian soup by using vegetable broth and leaving out the sour cream.
Special blender for making soups
Fancy soup tureen for special dinners
Perfect to show off your colorful carrot soup