- Food and Cooking»
- Dietary Restrictions»
- Dietary Restrictions for Health
Almond Butter Cookies with Coconut: Gluten and Cow Milk Free
Cow's Milk and Gluten Free Recipes
Recipes without cow milk products (some of the most common being butter, cream, yogurt, sour cream, and cheeses) are a must for me, but gluten free is a choice that we try to make a priority as an effort to avoid added gluten to foods. When I can work on a great recipe that is free of both, I am a happy camper.
This recipe came together as I studied alternatives to peanut butter cookies. Though we don't necessarily avoid peanuts, those who do need to may find that this recipe is one they can use.
Whether you have food allergies or not, I think you'll find this cookie will go on your must serve list when you have to make a dessert plate for special occasions. Waiting for a special occasion would be a mistake though, for they make an easy and yum late night snack!
Almond Butter Cookies with Coconut
- 1 Cup Almond Butter
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Coconut Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 Large Egg
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 Cup Unsweetened Flaked Coconut
- 1 Cup Unsweetened Flaked Coconut, set aside
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- In a large mixing bowl beat the almond butter, sugar, coconut flour, and baking soda together by hand until you have a smooth mixture.
- Add the egg to the side of the mixture and beat it in separately until it is well blended, then add the vanilla and mix all ingredients together until smooth again.
- Stir coconut flakes into dough until evenly distributed.
- Using a teaspoon of dough, make balls and dip into the coconut flakes that are set aside, then place the dough balls 1 1/2 inches apart on a cookie sheet.
- Bake approximately 11 minutes, according to whether you like cookies slightly browned or well browned.
- Cool on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes, then place on a cooling rack for 15 minutes before serving or storing.
Rate Cow's Milk Free and Gluten Free Almond Butter Cookies
Make healthy Almond Milk and Save $$$!
More Recipes that are Cow Milk Free:
Do you need recipes that are gluten or cow's milk free?
Almond Flour Biscuts
If you looked through the photos you saw that I baked one batch of these cookies with the dipped coconut flakes on the bottom and another with the flakes on the top, as well as come without the coconut.
Doing this makes a simple cookie plate more interesting. Each batch baked up beautifully so I imagine that from now on I will be doing this same thing because they made for such a pretty plate of cookies.
If you use sweetened coconut flakes they will brown faster than expected, so watch the cookies carefully during their baking time to prevent burning. I prefer the unsweetened because it allows more of the coconut flavor to come through.
It is amazing to see how well almond flour or almond milk substitutes for gluten and cow's milk products. You might like to check out the videos below to learn more about using almonds when cooking.
A Bit About Coconut
Coconut is a really good for us food with many uses. Even though science gave it a bad reputation a while back people are learning to use it in unique ways. I hope to grow this section as I find coconut information to fill it out:
• Learn about coconut as you check out a fabulous dessert recipe.
• Learn important tips on using coconut flour in gluten free recipes.