My Family Budget Almond Slice Recipe
Welcome to my almond slice recipe, which has been a family favourite for many years!
My mother used to make this when I was a child and having acquired the recipe from her, I have been making it for my family now for many years. It contains semolina to replace ground almonds, making it more economical, light and truly delicious. The addition of apricot jam gives it the sticky sweetness that holds it all together. Perfect with a cup of tea in the afternoon or to accompany your morning coffee. Don't worry if you don't manage to perfectly lay out the top part of the dough, as it all comes together nicely whilst baking.
- 8 oz (200g) soft butter
- 8 oz caster sugar
- 8 oz semolina
- 8 oz self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon almond essence
- 2 eggs
- Apricot jam
- Shredded almonds
- Preheat oven to Gas 4 (180C)
- Mix together semolina, flour and sugar and rub in butter.
- Add beaten eggs and essence.
- Mix to a stiff paste and divide into 2.
- Press half into large swiss roll tin and spread with jam (warm slightly to make spreading easier),
- Roll out remaining paste (in two halves if easier) and place on top of jam.
- Sprinkle with almonds.
- Bake towards top of oven for 30 minutes or until golden and firm to the touch.
- Allow to cool and cut into fingers.
- Makes 16-20
I love my mixer! My secret? Throw all the ingredients into the bowl and let it do the mixing for you in one easy step- and this one is a bestseller!