Blond Logic profile image 90

Why shouldn't potatoes be kept in the refrigerator?

If I leave them out, they begin to grow or rot. I have read it isn't advisable to keep them in the fridge, but why is this? Photo courtesy of freedigitalphotos.net and Simon Howden

Sue Bailey profile image90

Best Answer Susan Bailey (Sue Bailey) says

• Blond Logic profile image

Mary Wickison (Blond Logic) 4 years ago

Thanks for your answer Sue.

Mazzy Bolero profile image92

Mazzy Bolero says

• Blond Logic profile image

Mary Wickison (Blond Logic) 4 years ago

My kitchen is way above 45°F. I do tend to buy in small quantities though. Thank you for explaining the advantages and disadvantages.of keeping them in and outside the fridge.

Janis Goad profile image91

Janis Goad says

• Blond Logic profile image

Mary Wickison (Blond Logic) 4 years ago

Baby potatoes are wonderful.

DrMark1961 profile image91

Dr Mark (DrMark1961) says

• Blond Logic profile image

Mary Wickison (Blond Logic) 4 years ago

The potatoes here are good but as you say can be expensive. I think I pay between R$4.50-5.50 a kilo. I have never heard of using the bananas. I have some green ones on a plant in the back so will give it a try. Thanks for the tip.

liesl5858 profile image81

Linda Bryen (liesl5858) says

• Blond Logic profile image

Mary Wickison (Blond Logic) 4 years ago

I think buying little and often is probably the best idea. Often our local shops only get a delivery once a week and it isn't always on the same day. The best bet is flexibility with menu planning. Thanks for your answer.

Abby Campbell profile image92

Abby Campbell says

• Blond Logic profile image

Mary Wickison (Blond Logic) 4 years ago

I will have to buy fewer. With just two of us, we don't get through many however my house is normally in the mid to high 80's and often quite humid. Maybe that is why rice is eaten widely here. It is easier to store. Thanks for your explanation Abby

nanette bette profile image61

nanette dean (nanette bette) says

• Blond Logic profile image

Mary Wickison (Blond Logic) 4 years ago

I tend to keep mine in the fridge as I am in the tropics and it is always warm and humid, exactly what you don't want to keep them fresh.

Thanks for your answer.

Firdousia Sudheer profile image60

Firdousia Sudheer says