What is artificial crab meat made out of, if it is not actually real crab?

I just love this seafood salad I pick up at the grocery store, but I noticed it is not made with real crab meat. If it is not real crab meat, what is it? I am not sure that I really want to know, but ... Thank you for answering.

Best Answer M. T. Dremer says

Hello M. T. Dremer, Oh, wow, well, I am glad it is also made from a common fish, but that paste with the pink strip now has me wondering of what the pink strip is made? Probably, the paste just dyed pink maybe? Thank you for answering!

sallieannluvslife profile image86

sallieannluvslife says

Hi sallieann, Thank you so much for answering. Glad to know it is from real fish at least, and I appreciate the tip on where to find jumbo lump crabmeat! Awesome, I will check them out. I just love crabcakes too! Have a wonderful day, Faith Reape

mgeorge1050 profile image80

Alan (mgeorge1050) says

Hello mgeorge1050, thank you so much for answering. Well, I am glad to know it is at least fish lol! I prefer the real thing too, but just wanted to know what is it if it is not real crab meat.

MarleneB profile image94

Marlene Bertrand (MarleneB) says

Hi Marlene, Wow! Thank you so much. Yes, that is an important reason to read it. Funny, mine did not say imitation or have the ingredients, so hopefully mine is the real deal. I meant to call it imitation.

Jackie Lynnley profile image76

Jackie Lynnley says

Thanks so much, Jackie. Yes, it does taste good and you're probably right about it not being too bad. Lobster sounds great too. I bet they were the best fresh crab cakes no doubt.

Bubblegum Jones profile image60

Bubblegum Jones says

Hi there, Bubblegum Jones, it truly does taste very good. Oh, I found that picture on en.wikipedia and chose it because it looks like an imitation crab lol.

Darksage profile image82

Khen Ramos (Darksage) says

Yes...I will make sure it is not imitation but the real deal. You're right as there is no telling what it really is!