connorj profile image 79

Why isn't my personally favorite tasting vegetable (parsnips) more popular with everyone?

The parsnip ( Pastinaca sativa) is my favorite tasting of all vegetables. I enjoy them raw or cooked or for that matter burned to a crisp on our grill. Yet it is one of the least favorite vegetables and can be difficult to find in many stores. It is a root quite similar to carrot; yet it tastes significantly different ( in my opinion it tastes better than carrot). It is high in vitamins and antioxidants too; thus, it is important for our diet. It is ancient and was used as a sweetener before sugar cane...

lisavollrath profile image89

Lisa Vollrath (lisavollrath) says

• connorj profile image

John Connor (connorj) 2 years ago

I hope you are indeed correct. It is such a wonderful and helpful root veggie.

StoneCircle profile image88

Susan McLeish (StoneCircle) says

• connorj profile image

John Connor (connorj) 2 years ago

Well that may explain it then; "me fadder, grandfadder, and great grandfadder" are all from "Down East" and we have a distant relative from the May Flower...

bethperry profile image89

bethperry says

Zelkiiro profile image84

Zelkiiro says

• connorj profile image

John Connor (connorj) 2 years ago

It is an amazing and significantly tasteful veggie. You really should try it...

Hendrika profile image71

Hendrika says

• connorj profile image

John Connor (connorj) 2 years ago

Yes we need to increase the demand so the supply goes way up!

Arco Hess Designs profile image83

Arco Hess (Arco Hess Designs) says

• connorj profile image

John Connor (connorj) 2 years ago

I appreciate your answer; however, they can indeed be grown in most countries especially in a prepared soil not unlike carrots...

Robert the Bruce profile image60

Robert the Bruce says

• connorj profile image

John Connor (connorj) 2 years ago

Indeed you must they are significant in taste, sweetness and nutrition... With regards to turnips; my God, man The Bruce didn't have potatoes to dine on his main "veggie" would indeed be turnips!