Apple and Barley Pudding- An Irish Treat
An Irish Treat
This is a delicious recipe to celebrate the Irish tradition any time of year and especially on St. Patrick's Day. Apple and Barley Pudding is a classic Irish dessert and a lovely way to share with family and friends. It looks so pretty served in parfait or wine glasses for an elegant presentation.
- 1 1/2 lbs. apples
- 4 cups water
- 4 tbls. pearl barley
- 4 tbls lemon juice
- 4 tbls. brown sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tbls. confectioners sugar
- Peel, core and slice apples.
- Meanwhile bring water to boiling in a large saucepan.
- Add apples and barley to boiling water and cook until barley is soft.
- Drain water from mixture, then add lemon juice and brown sugar.
- Puree entire mixture in food processor.
- Pour back into saucepan, bring to a boil, then let cool.
- Chill in refrigerator.
- Whip heavy cream and confectioners sugar until stiff peaks form.
- Layer pudding and whipped cream in dessert bowls or parfait glasses.