- Food and Cooking
Apple Caramel Macchiato Cupcakes: A Switched Up Recipe
How I Came Up With My Idea for This Cupcake
When I was in my twenties, and I was living as the woman of the house for the first time, I had to learn to cook. And what I realized was that I was a natural. Anything I tried to cook or bake, it usually turned out better than I thought it would.
So, eventually, I started trying new recipes all the time. However, instead of going by the basics of that recipe, I would add things for extra taste, or I would take things out if I didn’t like the ingredient or think the dish needed it. Basically, I would take a recipe and re-vamp it until it was my own personal recipe.
Through the years, I got braver, and it’s been easier for me to do this. I look at the ingredients and almost automatically I will have my own additions or subtractions ready to try. For example; I can take a regular Hamburger Helper Lasagne box and turn it into something completely different in taste and in the way it looks.
Today, I decided to make this Hub an experiment. I’m going to take a basic recipe, and with my personal additions or subtractions make it my own. My main ingredient for this will be apples. Since I have some apples that need to be either eaten or baked.
Now, what can I make with apples? I thought about it and decided on cupcakes. When you think of apples, you think of apple pie, apple strudel, and apple cake. However, today, it’s going to be apple cupcakes.
Over the years, I have become a major cupcake maker, my kid’s love my cupcakes. When my daughter was in Elementary school, she would have me make cupcakes for all occasions; her birthday, every holiday, and the end of the school year celebrations. Needless to say, I made every type of cupcake it seems. However, I haven’t made apple. I also made cute decorations, but for this recipe, I don’t think I will. That’s going to be the basic part; simple decorations. I hope y’all don’t mind…
Let’s get started… I’m going to now gather my ingredients. I will list the basic cupcake recipe ingredients, then I will list my changes to show you what I have added and subtracted.
Silly Apple Song
Adorable baby eats apple
Basic cupcake ingredients vs. My apple cupcake ingredients
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup milk
- 1/3 cup butter melted
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 ¼ all-purpose flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- My additions and subtractions;
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup caramel macchiato creamer
- 1/3 cup margarine melted
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups self-rising flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 cups Red apples, peeled and chopped
Alright, so the ingredients above are listed as Top; basic cupcake. Bottom; apple cupcake. This is to show the changes I've made to the basic cupcake ingredients. Which, now I believe I will call Apple Caramel Macchiato cupcakes. A long name, but fitting.
As I’ve added a few eggs and the milk along with creamer, this should still make around 24 cupcakes. I changed the all-purpose flour to self-rising, just because my mom taught me to be lazy like that. No salt or baking powder if you use self-rising. I used margarine, because I like margarine better than butter. I’ve added cinnamon and of course apples. Most recipes call for Granny Smith. I'm using Red Washington.
- First step to any baking is to preheat your oven, and get your pans ready. For these cupcakes that will make approximately 24 cupcakes, I have took out two muffin pans of 12 count and lined them with cupcake liners. Then I turned my oven on to 350 degrees.
- I’m now going to grab 2 bowls out of the cabinet both larger in size. In the first bowl I’m going to mix the eggs, the milk, the creamer, melted margarine and vanilla extract.
- In the second bowl , combine the flour, sugar, and cinnamon.
- Add the second bowl mixture to the egg mixture.
- Stir in your chopped apples. Stir until just wet don’t over mix.
- Fill your lined cupcake tins half full and stick the cupcakes in the oven to cook for about 20 to 25 minutes or until toothpick will slide in and out clean.
When your toothpick comes out clean, your Apple Caramel Macchiato cupcakes are done. I have a few tips;
* If you use more chopped apples than the recipe calls for the batter will not rise the way you want, so my first tip is; stick to the 2 cups, even maybe a little less.
* I chopped my apples, but looking at mine; I think I would have rather grated my apples.
* depending on the caramel taste you want, you may want to substitute the half-cup of milk for a complete cup of caramel macchiato creamer.
Now it's time to let the cupcakes cool and while that is taking place, mix up some yummy buttercream with caramel macchiato icing...
1/2 stick Crisco
1/2 stick butter
4 cups sifted 10x white powdered sugar
3 to 4 tablespoons of Caramel Macchiato Creamer
Stir the ingredients until they are mixed, smooth and creamy.
* I use a ziploc sandwich bag and snip off a corner. This serves well as an icing bag.
* Do not pour the Caramel Macchiato creamer in all at once. Start with a tablespoon and only add to consistency.
*A little dribble of vanilla could be added for taste as well. :P
How Do They taste?
The task is finished and I have tried one of my cupcakes. I think they are delish!!! My apple cupcake is not too sweet and leaves room for my buttercream frosting to be a little on the sweet side. They mix well. Not too sweet, just the right sweetness for an apple cupcake.
It would be a delight if you would like to try this recipe yourselves and give me some feedback. :)
And in keeping with my niche here on Hubpages, I will now write a little poem about my creation.
What do you rate my creation?
What is your favorite cupcake?
© 2015 Missy Smith