Apple Crumb Pie ... Quick and Oh So Tasty!
Apple Crumb Pie ... Quick!
Got fresh apples and want to make a sensational tasting dessert ... quick? An apple crumb pie is an apple pie with a thick top layer of sweet crumbly, buttery, goodness.
For a super-quick apple crumb pie, you can use a pre-made deep dish pie shell purchased from your local supermarket. Don't worry, it's not "cheating" ... think of it as "time-saving."
However, if you have a favorite pie crust recipe . . . go ahead and whip one up and have it ready (but unbaked) in a 9-inch deep dish pie pan.
In any case, try this quick and easy recipe . . . Enjoy!
Photo used under Creative Commons from: hfb, on Flickr
Start With Apples
Photo used under Creative Commons from: Jennuine Captures, on Flickr
What Kind of Apples?
Just about any kind of apple will do . . . but the best apples for baking are those whose flesh is hardy enough to withstand the oven and not totally disintegrate. There are a wide variety of apples suitable for baking, here are just a few:
Granny Smith | Braeburn | Honeycrisp | Gala
Rome | Cortland | Jonagolds | Golden Delicious
Apple Crumb Pie Recipe
Photo used under Creative Commons from: hfb, on Flickrr
IngredientsOne 9-inch deep dish pie crust (unbaked)
- 5 cups apples , peeled, cored and sliced
- 1/2 cup sugar (can substitute 2/3 cup maple syrup)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons chilled butter (cut into 1/2 -inch pieces)
- Preheat overn to 400 degrees
- Arrange apple slices in unbaked pie shell.
- Mix 1/2 cup sugar with cinnamon and nutmeg and sprinkle over apples
- For topping, mix 1/2 cup of brown sugar with flour in a bowl and then drop in butter pieces. Using your hands, crumble mixture until you have a beady, meal-like texture.
- Spoon this crumb topping over apples.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes (or until apples are soft and topping is slightly browned).
A Fitting Pie Pan For Your Pie Creations . . .
This 9-inch pie pan is oven to table, red glazed exterior is microwave, freezer, oven and dishwasher safe.
Apple Crumb Pie - Recipe Variations
Photo used under Creative Commons from: stefanie says, on Flickr
Here are a couple more apple crumb pie recipes you might like . . .