Asparagus with Caramelized Shallots
I have always thought of asparagus as an impressive side dish. Often it is featured in restaurants at an additional cost and rightly so. When you combine asparagus and shallots, this side dish goes over the top.
Caramelized shallots and sauteed asparagus are the perfect pair when you are looking for a tasty side dish. I only started using shallots about a year ago after seeing them nicely roasted on a cooking show. Little did I know that they are quite easy to find near the onions in the produce department.
I like the sweetness that the shallots add to asparagus, plus how easy and simple this dish is to make.
- 1 lb. asparagus, ends removed
- 2 tbls. butter
- 1/4 cup chopped shallots
- 1 tbls. fresh thyme leaves
- 1 tbls. lemon juice
- Place asparagus in a 2 quart saucepan and cover with water.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes or until tender crisp.
- Drain and place asparagus into cool water.
- In a medium skillet, melt butter and add shallots and thyme.
- Saute until tender.
- Add drained asparagus, drizzle with shallot mixture and lemon.
- Heat through and serve.