An Easy Bacon and Egg Pie Recipe
A simple pie recipe - great for beginner bakers
Bacon and egg pie is a simple, versatile pie that's great for an easy dinner, a picnic or a lazy Sunday breakfast. If you have never made a pie before this is a great place to start.
It's origins are unknown although lots of references refers to it as a New Zealand specialty. This version is not really low fat ;-) but if you eat it with salad and water you will be fine!
- 8 eggs
- 6 rashers of bacon
- 2 sheets of puff pastry
- 100gm Cheese, tasty, feta or ricotta
- Pinch Black Pepper
- 1 small zuchini, optional
- egg yolk for glazing
- Grease a pie plate and place a sheet of pastry into the plate pressing into the dish.
- Crack the eggs into a small bowl or glass one by one pouring each into the pie dish (my mum taught me to do this in case you get a bad egg)
- Lay the bacon rashers across the eggs and sprinkle any additional ingredients on top. Grind a little black pepper on top
- Add the second layer of pastry on top and brush with some egg and water mixture or milk to glaze
- Cook at 180 degrees Celsius (350F) for 40 minutes or until golden.