Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Peppers
Sinfully Delicious Appetizers, Wrapped in Bacon
I've never been a jalapeno fan, but I planted four jalapeno plants in my garden this year just for salsa and for my husband who loves the spicy peppers. After tasting Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers I'm a true jalapeno convert. Thank you bacon and cream cheese? They say anything is better when wrapped in bacon, and stuffed with cream cheese and it's most certainly true.
I can't get enough of these wonderful, decadent, mildly tangy, yet sweet and creamy addictive treats. But hey, it's not just a treat, it's a vegetable, a pepper, so it's healthy and good for you. Right? Well, the bacon is protein, and cream cheese is dairy, so it's actually a well balanced food. Yeah, just keep saying it enough times and I'll make it so.
Not only did I use all the peppers in my garden, but begged jalapeno peppers from neighbors and friends. Here is an appetizer that will be the hit of the party or barbecue. Just see if you can make enough.
In case you're wondering, I took all the photos below, much to my husbands amusement, he doesn't share my food photography passion as much as I do, he just likes to eat.
Create a Riot with Bacon - Wrap Peppers in Bacon
There are many recipes on the internet for bacon wrapped jalapeno poppers and I'm sure they are all good, I mean why wouldn't it be good, it's wrapped in bacon. But I'll give you a few tips, a few variations, and fair warning about potential mishaps along the way.
There are a few secrets to making jalapeno poppers which will make your life, your palette, and taste buds happy.
I don't like hot foods, mild is more my flavor so a few precautions are needed before you start cutting and stuffing the peppers.
1. Wear rubber gloves, liquid and juice in the jalapenos can burn and if you lick your lips the sting will stay for a while.
2. Don't touch your face when cleaning jalapenos or any hot peppers, especially your eyes, or nose
3. Peppers in the fridge will get milder over time.
Jalapeno Roasting Pan - Keeps Filling from Spilling
My husband likes his jalapeno poppers whole, to me they are too hot and I can't get all the seeds out and don't like the spicy surprise. It's a challenge to grill the whole jalapenos without the cream cheese and filling melting and spilling onto the grill.
This jalapeno rack holds 36 peppers of different sizes. Unlike other racks where all the holes are the same size this has small and large holes to hold the tiny peppers and larger "Big Boy" poppers.
It's really important when using a jalapeno roasting rack to keep the grill on low as the bottoms of the peppers could easily burn.
This rack even comes with a jalapeno corer to scoop out the seeds, a very handy tool.
- Prep time: 30 min
- Cook time: 30 min
- Ready in: 1 hour
- Yields: 4
- 20 jalapeno peppers
- 1 lb bacon
- 1 package cream cheese (room temperature)
- Onion Seasoning
- Mix cream cheese with seasoning. Allow to site until peppers are prepped
- Using a knife or kitchen scissors, cut the bacon into thirds. Easy to do this in the package
- WARNING Wear gloves for steps 3 & 4
- Slice jalapenos lengthwise, leaving a stem on one half
- Use a small spoon and scoop out the seeds and white membrane (this is where the heat lives) If you like spicy hot, then save the seeds and put them into the cream cheese
- Using a small spoon scoop the cream cheese mixture into the hollowed sections of the jalapenos
- Wrap a piece of bacon around the pepper and cream cheese, secure with a toothpick
- Grill on top rack on low to med heat around 300F with lid closed for about 30 minutes or until bacon is nicely browned. (can also be cooked in the oven at 325F on a broiler pan to allow the fat to drip away from the peppers)
- Watch carefully, if the grill is too hot the bacon fat will melt too quickly and drip onto the burners causing flares and will burn your poppers. Do not walk away from the grill for more than a minute or two at a time.
- Check on the progress about every 5 minutes, if the grill is smoking, it's too HOT, if the grill is glowing orange, it's too hot. SLOW heat will cook the bacon without burning the peppers.
Grill on LOW Heat - This is NOT low heat
Don't do this! I repeat, unless you like charred, burned peppers, the consistency of charcoal, don't do this.
This is a case of the distracted chef trying to do too many things at the same time. Put someone else in charge of setting the table, getting the drinks and entertaining your guests. Better yet, entertain your guest at the grill.
You will see whole and split peppers in this photo, and the cream cheese is already wanting to escape from the peppers due to the heat. My dear husband did eat the slightly, and even more severely blackened jalapeno poppers, he's so nice, but have have made four more batches since this escapade and learned. Keep the heat low.
Create Custom Fillings
Be Creative with your jalapeno fillings. Try adding the following to the cream cheese mixture
Slice of ham
Slice of cooked chicken
Glaze bacon midway with barbeque sauce
Secret to Grilling Jalapeno Poppers - The Details in Cooking Make a Difference
Having the right tools and ingredients make all the difference when you grill.
Sometimes the "secret" ingredient the chef uses that you just can't get at home. There are a variety of ways you can make your jalapeno poppers unique and have your dinner guest coming back for more.
Don't try and grill your jalapenos on a charcoal grill. You need a gas grill with a very controlled temperature control and thermometer.
Cook these babies on low, if you don't the bacon fat will melt too fast and cause flare-ups.
Weber is the name for grilling and this pair of barbeque tongs is easy to open and close, yet long enough to gently reach your food without getting burned.
My husband has BBQ tongs which are almost like weapons. I need two hands to close them.
Serve your jalapeno poppers on a bright red pepper tray. Perfect addition to the picnic table and for company.
How Do You Like Your Jalapenos
More Outdoor Grilling Supplies - Create an outdoor kitchen
Many people entertain outdoors more than in the house, outdoor cooking requires additional cooking tools and supplies to address grilling picnic challenges.
I absolutely love this plate idea. How many times have your been to a barbeque, picnic or party and tried to juggle a drink and your plate at the same time?
Place your beer, adult beverage, or pop in the center hole and eat your food with one hand free.
Cook pancakes on the grill, small pizza or delicate fish all on the barbeque.
Grill vegetables in this grilling basket. Slices zucchini, mushrooms, onions, potatoes can all be cooked on the grill outside without fear of them falling into the fire.
More Jalapeno Recipes - Give a Gift of Jalapenos to a Friend
If you love jalapenos, love to cook, and love to garden this Kindle online book. I store recipes on Pinterest and my phone so I can pull them up at any time. I rarely use cookbooks anymore and they just collect dust.
When I do find a recipe I like I take pictures, create a blog, or article post and put it on the internet to PIN on Pinterest so I can easily reference it in the future.
This Kindle book is 30 pages of how to become the Zen master of jalapeno poppers. Have the book on your phone, iPad or Kindle to keep recipes at your fingertips.
If you have any other tips, cooking secrets drop me a note. Have another recipe? Please share. I love to PIN food onto my Pinterest page, it's our secret obsession at work.