Baja Brunch Egg and Sausage Breakfast Casserole
My family first had this recipe at a church Easter Breakfast. It was so good that my husband and daughter both insisted that I hunt down the recipe. I want to thank Paula at Family of Faith for sharing this wonderful recipe with me...twice! I lost it the first time. When Paula was kind enough to share it a second time, I thought I should post it here for safe keeping. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!
- Prep time: 30 min
- Cook time: 1 hour
- Ready in: 1 hour 30 min
- Yields: 8
- 1 (4 oz.) cans green chilies, diced or chopped
- 8 corn tortillas (white or yellow) cut into strips
- 2 Pounds Breakfast Sausage - 1 lb. hot and 1 lb. mild
- 2 cups grated Monterey Jack or Pepper Jack cheese
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 -3 tomatoes, sliced
- Cook sausage and drain off grease. In a greased 9x13-inch pan, layer one half of the chilies, one half of the tortilla strips, one half of the sausage and one half of the cheese; repeat layers. Beat eggs, milk and spices together and pour over the layers. Lay sliced tomatoes on top and sprinkle with paprika. Cover with aluminum foil and chill overnight. Bake at 350 degrees for 55 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 5-10 minutes. A little additional grated cheese may be sprinkled over tomatoes during the final five minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- I slice the tomatoes and let the excess moisture drain off before placing them on the casserole.
- Variation: I've made this recipe using 2 whole eggs and liquid egg whites equal to six whole eggs, as per amount listed on the carton.