Easy Baked Oatmeal Recipe
Quick and delicious Baked Oatmeal
Baked oatmeal is a delicious and filling breakfast. This casserole is healthy and hearty and can be adapted to suit your tastes. Feed your family frugally with this awesome fruity breakfast. I always make this when we have overnight guests. I also use this for Christmas morning breakfast. We even have this for dinner many evenings. This is a great recipe to take to a brunch or Bible Study. I will show you step by step how to make this yummy breakfast dish, and the whole recipe will be included too for you to print. Ready to eat?
Health Benefits from eating Oats
- Oatmeal is full of soluble fiber and can help lower your cholesterol.
- Eating oats can spread the rise of blood sugar over a longer period of time.
- Oats contain hundreds of phytochemicals which are thought to reduce a person's risk of getting cancer.
- Oats digest slowly and make you feel fuller longer which may help you lose weight.
- A daily serving of oats can help reduce hypertension and lower your blood pressure.
- Oats contain many nutrients such as vitamin E, zinc, selenium, copper, iron, manganese, and magnesium. Oats are also a good source of protein.
Will you try this recipe?
Do you eat oatmeal?
Gather your ingredients - Chocked Full of healthy stuff
All you need are Old Fashioned Oats, Milk, Eggs, Baking Powder, Brown Sugar, Applesauce, Salt, and Cinnamon. These are all ingredients found in most pantries. This is an inexpensive dish and it will feed a crowd. And it's heart healthy too and could lower your cholesterol! You can adapt the sweetness to your own tastes.
Mix the Dry Ingredients
Start by mixing the oats, cinnamon, salt, brown sugar, and baking powder in a large bowl. You will add the wet ingredients to the bowl later, so make sure you have used a large mixing bowl.
Get a set of great mixing bowls
I love stainless steel mixing bowls! I also love the rubberized bottom so that these bowls don't slide while I am mixing.
Add the Wet Ingredients and Mix well - It's more fun with some helpers!
Add milk, eggs, applesauce and mix well. This is where you can substitute another fruit such as canned peaches or canned pears for the applesauce. Simply measure the liquid from the canned fruit and use this in place of some of the milk. Then chop the canned fruit and add in place of the applesauce.
Pour into a baking pan and bake for 45 minutes
Here it is ready for the oven. This one is in a disposable pan since I took baked oatmeal to my Bible Study group that morning. They loved it. It is a great dish for brunches because you can make it ahead of time--then reheat it to serve.
This recipe feeds my family of nine and is great for sharing or overnight guests. If it seems to large for you, you can 1/2 the recipe.
- Prep time: 10 min
- Cook time: 45 min
- Ready in: 55 min
- Yields: Six
- 4 cups Old Fashioned Oats (long-cooking oats)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups milk
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1 cup brown sugar
- Combine oats, baking powder, cinnamon and salt; stir in milk, eggs, applesauce and brown sugar. Pour into a greased 9x13 pan. Bake at 325 degrees for 45 minutes. Serve hot.
- You can use a large can of pears or peaches in place of the applesauce if you want to change the flavor. Simply use the liquid from the canned fruit and reduce the amount of milk by that much. Chop the peaches or pears an add them instead of applesauce.
Peach Baked Oatmeal - This one was made with canned peaches instead of applesauce
You can substitute the applesauce for a large can of sliced peaches (or pears). I use the juice from the can to substitute for some of the milk, then chop the peaches and add it in place of the applesauce. My kids love the peach version!
Yumm. Fruity Baked Oatmeal on a cold winter morning!
Baked Oatmeal is great for dinner! - Serve it for dinner!
Baked oatmeal is such a yummy meal that we will eat it for dinner too!
Will you serve Baked Oatmeal for Dinner?