- Food and Cooking»
- Culinary Arts & Cooking Techniques
Best Ever BBQ Marinade Recipes
10 Quick and Easy Marinade Recipes for Meat, Chicken and Seafood
A great marinade can take a lamb chop or piece of steak from ordinary to extraordinary. This collection of marinade recipes covers all occasions and food styles. They are perfect for summing entertaining.
Marinades are a simple and healthy way to add something special to your barbecue and make your meals so much more interesting. Most work best if they are left overnight but there are a couple that only need 2 hours or so - perfect for impromptu occasions.
Marinades for Beef
This herb based marinade is perfect for when you have not had time to marinate overnight. The lemon gives a fresh flavor and the anchovy provides that something special.
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil leaves
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon of finely grated lemon rind
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 finely chopped anchovy fillets
- 4 x 200gm steaks (rump sirloin rib eye)
- Combine the herbs and lemon rind with the lemon juice and anchovy in a bowl or container. Coat the beef in marinade and refrigerate.
- Cook on a hot grill.
Simple Beer Marinade for Beef
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 2 tablespoons of American mustard
- 4 cloves of crushed garlic
- 1/2 cup beer
- 1.4 kg of beef fillet or lean beef
- Combine all ingredients in a large container. Marinate for 4 hours (2.5 at a push) or preferably overnight. Place in a foil baking dish or in a double layer of foil. If the barbecue has a lid, close the lid and cook for about an hour. If there is no lid cover the meat with foil for the first 40 minutes of cooking.
Marinades for Chicken
Greek Marinade for Chicken - Fillets, pieces or whole chicken
- 1 cup olive oil
- 100 mls (3 1/2 fluid ounces) of white wine (or vegetable stock)
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 3 cloves of garlic crushed
- 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon crushed cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon crushed coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed black pepper
- Combine ingredients and mix well. Marinate and refrigerate chicken for at least 2 hours or overnight.
Balsamic Chicken Marinade - Only needs 15 minutes to marinate!
This works very well on chicken Maryland or chicken thigh fillets
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary
- 1 clove crushed garlic
- Mix all ingredients and marinate for 15 minutes. Drain and cook on hot bbq until chicken juices run clear.
Marinades for Lamb
Vietnamese Lamb Marinade - Fresh and tangy marinade
Use this with lean ground lamb to make rissoles or kebabs or on lamb cutlets for an easy and delicious BBQ finger food.
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 clove of garlic finely chopped
- 1 tsp chilli finely chopped seeds removed
- 2 small French shallots finely chopped
- 1 Â½ teaspoon ground galangal (if you cannot find this use Â½ teaspoon cinnamon and Â½ teaspoon of lemon zest)
- 1 Â½ teaspoon ground lemongrass
- Combine all ingredients and either rub over cutlets or mix through the ground lamb. Marinate for 2 hours in the refrigerator
Morroccan Lamb Marinade - My most requested marinade ever
- 4 teaspoons curry powder
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 tablespoon pf seeded mustard
- 2 teaspoon of lemon rind
- 2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 4 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 16 lamb cutlets or lamb leg chops
- Mix all ingredients and completely cover the meat. Marinate for at least 2 hours but preferably 4 hours.
- Cook on BBQ grill plate to allow meat to char slightly and is just cooked inside.
Marinades for Pork
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 15-20 minutes
Asian Style Pork Belly Ribs - Cook double - believe me!
- 2 tablespoons Kepis Manis (or thick sweet soy sauce)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of five spice powder
- 1/4 cup marmalade
- 3 cm piece ginger finely grated
- 3 cloves of garlic crushed
- Combine all ingredients and rub into ribs. Marinate for 2 or more hours in the refrigerator. Cook on a hot BBQ but keep an good eye on them if the temperature gets too hire the honey and Kepis can burn.
Simple Greek Marinade for Pork - Just like grandma used to make
This recipe makes 3 cups of marinade. Suitable for large cuts or pork chops
- 1 teaspoon crushed fennel seeds
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme removed from stalks and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons of Dijon mustard
- 3 cloves of crushed garlic
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 cups olive oil
- Pork shoulder or pork neck or pork fillet
- Combine all ingredients and cover pork. Refrigerate for 12 hours if possible or 6 hours minimum.
Marinades for Seafood
Fennel and Garlic marinade for Shrimp or Prawns - Fennel and seafood is a perfect match
There might only be 4 ingredients in this marinade but these 4 ingredients pack a real flavour punch. It works particularly well with prawns and white fish.
- 1 tablespoon of Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons ground fennel
- 1/2 clove of garlic
BBQ Snapper with Thai marinade - Serve with lime dressing and steamed rice
Combine 60ml (1/4 cup) fresh lime juice, 1 tbs fish sauce and 1 1/2 tsp brown sugar and serve with cooked fish.
Prep Time: 10
Total Time: 15-20
- 1.5 kg whole snapper or sea bass
- 3 teaspoons of olive oil
- 2 cloves of finely chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon fresh coriander (cilantro)
- 1 tablespoon fresh Thai basil (or regular basil)
- 1. Ask fishmonger to clean the snapper for you... once home rinse out the cavity and stuff with herbs and garlic.
- 2. Cut two to three slashes into the fish on the thickest part (both sides)
- 3. Brush both sides with oil place the fish in a wire fish holder or triple thick aluminium foil.
- 4. Place on the BBQ and cook for 12 mins - turning only once. To check if cooked the flesh in the cuts of the fish should be white rather than pearly.
- Serve with lime dressing: Combine 1/4 cup fresh lime juice, 1 tablespoon fish sauce and 1 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar