- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Beef and Pineapple Rice Casserole Recipe
An oven baked rice casserole is an excellent way of making the family dinner when the prep time you have available is likely to be short. It is simply a case of spending a maximum of fifteen minutes assembling, chopping and otherwise preparing the ingredients before the dish is built, popped in to the oven and left alone to cook. Much of the prep could even be done in advance if you still have a time issue. This beef, bell pepper and pineapple rice casserole is not only delicious and satisfying, it is comprised of the three main elements of any well balanced main meal - meat, a starch and vegetables. Why not give it a try?
List of Ingredients
- Prep time: 15 min
- Cook time: 1 hour 30 min
- Ready in: 1 hour 45 min
- Yields: Two main course servings
- 4oz Topside of beef, cut to approximately three-quarter inch chunks
- 4oz long grain or basmati rice
- ½ red bell pepper, deseeded and diced
- ½ green bell pepper, deseeded and diced
- ½ white onion, peeled and diced
- 1 pineapple ring (canned in own juice), diced
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- ½ tsp dried hot chilli flakes
- 12 fl oz fresh beef stock
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 or 5 fresh rocket/arugula leaves to garnish, roughly chopped
Preparing the Casserole Ingredients for AssemblyClick thumbnail to view full-size
- Cut the beef to size and bring the olive oil up to a moderately high heat in a small pot or saucepan. Add the beef, season with salt and pepper and quickly brown and seal.
- Chop the pineapple and vegetables and mix them with the chopped garlic, chilli pepper and seasoning in a small bowl.
- Put the rice in to a fine sieve and wash it thoroughly under running cold water. This gets rid of all the excess starch.
Assembling the Casserole for the OvenClick thumbnail to view full-size
- Get your oven on to preheat to 350F/170C.
- Put the rice in to an ovenproof dish and spread it out evenly with the back of a spoon.
- Pour the beef stock slowly over the rice.
- Scatter the vegetable mix over the rice and stock. The easiest way to do this to achieve even coating is with your hand. (Don't forget to wash your hands thoroughly immediately afterwards as you have been touching red chillis!)
- Lay the beef on top at regular intervals and cover the dish with tinfoil.
- Putting the dish on a roasting tray simply makes it easier to add to and remove from the oven. This is optional.
- Put the casserole in to the oven for one and a half hours.
Why not Experiment with Baked Rice Casserole?
A baked rice casserole as a concept is extremely versatile. You can quite easily take this basic recipe and substitute the meat or vegetables of your choice. Chicken, turkey, pork, lamb - even an entirely vegetarian version. All are likely to work well, providing you with a simple and nourishing evening meal.
Long Grain Rice - The Nutritional Picture
|Serving size: 100g|
|Calories from Fat||9|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 1 g||2%|
|Carbohydrates 76 g||25%|
|Fiber 3 g||12%|
|Protein 7 g||14%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Serving this Spicy Beef Rice CasseroleClick thumbnail to view full-size
- Remove the casserole from the oven and very carefully lift off the tinfoil.
- Chop the rocket/arugula only at this last minute and scatter over the casserole.
- Take the dish to the table with a large serving spoon and enjoy.