Best Marinade I Ever Concocted
This is possibly the best one I've ever done. Even my mother agreed that it was amazing (and that's saying something). It's especially interesting because I really don't like mushrooms, but I couldn't get enough of them. This lens is all about making a great (and easy) steak marinade that is so much more full of flavor than ever expected.
About this Marinade
It's just awesome!
PLEASE READ MY NOTE IN THE COMMENTS BELOW AT THE BOTTOM.
So, last night I made what is very possibly the best marinade I've ever made. It wasn't intended. It happened by accident as I was just experimenting with what I had available. To make sure it wasn't just ego, I asked my girlfriend if she liked it and she verified that it was possibly the best marinade I ever made. Everything I am about to type below is the best to my memory. I wasn't intending on doing a recipe so I didn't take pictures and I didn't take notes of amounts. Note that a jalapeno is included. Because of the way it's used in the marinade, it does not add heat... only flavor.
Any amounts with "about" denotes approximation. In other words... I'm just guessing. I will be including the marinade as well as the "topping".
This marinated 3 decent sized New York Strips.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: Depends on how long you let it marinade.
- Dill Pickle Juice - About half of what is left over after eating all the pickles from a 32oz jar.
- Worcestershire Sauce - 10oz
- Old Bay Seasoning about 1 TBSP
- Kosher Coarse Salt about 2 TBSP
- Ground Black Pepper about 2 TBSP
- Sliced Fresh Garlic about 2 Cloves
- Chopped Onion about 1/4 Cup
- Chopped Fresh Cilantro about 1/2 Cup
- Sliced Jalapeno - 1 (Do not deseed)
- You may need to adjust the ingredients for the amount of steaks being used, but the marinade should fully cover the meat.
- Place steaks in bottom of marinade dish. Try to make sure they are one layer.
- Pour Dill Pickle Juice and Worcestershire over the steaks until completely covered.
- Evenly distribute the remaining ingredients and stir gently to insure even distribution throughout.
- Let marinade for at least three hours.
- Prep time: 10 min
- Cook time: 10 min
- Ready in: 20 min
- Yields: 3
Toppings - This is some magic right here.
- Baby Portabella Mushrooms, Sliced - 4oz
- Sliced Vidalia Onion about 1/2 Cup
- Sliced Garlic - 2 Cloves
- Olive Oil about 1TBSP
- Place Olive oil in pan.
- Heat to about 375ÂºF.
- Once heated, add mushrooms, garlic, and onion.
- Cook until onions are translucent, stirring frequently.
- Spread evenly in pan and allow to cook another 1 to 2 minutes, allowing for mild caramelization.
- Stir vigorously and then push to side of pan.
- Add steaks (allowing the toppings to continue to cook beside the steak).
- Cook for 7 minutes.
- Flip Steaks.
- Cook for another 7 minutes.
- Serve with the mushroom mixture on top of the steaks and enjoy!