Best Biriyani Recipes
The Biriyani Recipes
Welcome to my Best Biriyani recipes Hub. Biriyani, Biryani, or Beriani is a rice-based Indian Food made with rice, ghee, spices and meat (or chicken, fish, egg, vegetables).
It was originated from Persia (Iran) and brought to South Asia by travelers and merchants. Indian variants of these Biriyani dishes are not only popular in South Asia but also within various South Asian populations in Western countries.
Hydrabadi Biriyani is popular in all corners of India and forms an important part of Indian cuisine. There are 49 varieties of Biriyanies based on Nijam's kitchen which includes mutton, chicken, fish, quail, shrimp, deer, and hare etc.
The most renowned Hyderabadi Biryani of all is called the "Kachi Akhni" Biryani as both the marinated rice and meat are cooked jointly. Here below you can find some of the famous Biriyani recipes.
It is an unusual preparation of the dish
This is one of the most well-liked delicacies from Hyderabad. It called as Kachi (kachi means raw) and the marinated meat and rice cooked collectively in the same pot. It is classically cooked with mutton and rarely with chicken.
The dish is layered with meat and yogurt-based marinade on the bottom of the vessel and the layer of half cooked rice posted above. Some times potatoes are added before adding the rice layer. The pot is typically closed (with wheat dough) to cook in it and not opened until ready to serve.
The challenge in the art of cooking Kacchi Biryani is to cook meat tender without rice over cooked. When serving the dish the cook will take a portion from the top layer of rice and meat from the bottom layer and is skillfully mix together. A boiled egg and salad is often included with this biriyani as side dishes.
"Biriyani is a tasty Indian rice dish which is habitually reserved for very special occasions such as weddings, parties, holidays, festivals such as Id, Christmas etc.
It has a lengthy preparation, but the work is certainly worth it. For Biriyani, always use long grain rice. Basmati rice with its thin, fine grains is the best variety to use.
Ghee is used in replace of vegetable oil to yield a more real taste."
- Â½ kg Basmati Rice (half-cooked)
- 1 kg Boneless Meat (washed and chopped into large square pieces)
- 6 tsp Ginger-Garlic Paste
- 4 Green Chilli
- 500 gm Curd
- 4 Big Onions (sliced)
- Â½ tsp Red Chilli Powder
- 1/2 cup Lime Juice
- A pinch of Caraway Seeds (Shahi Zeera)
- 10 twigs Mint Leaves (chopped)
- 10 twigs Coriander Leaves (chopped)
- 2 -4 Cinnamon
- 3 -4 pods Cardamom
- 3 pods Clove
- 2 pinch Saffron
- 3 tsp Ghee
- 2 cup Oil
- 2 -3 drops food Color
- Salt to taste
- Spread the pieces of meat with ginger-garlic paste. Keep them to marinate for an hour. In the meanwhile, fry the thinly sliced onions in a heated pan on low flame till light brown. Let the onions cool down and crush them. Now add three fourth crushed fried onion, curd, red chilli powder, cinnamon, green chilli paste, cardamom, Caraway Seeds, coriander leaves, clove, saffron water, mint leaves and salt to the marinated meat. Leave the meat as it is for another 1 hour. Make the combination of aromatic water by adding salt (one tsp), cinnamon, clove, cardamom, mint leaves and coriander leaves in a little water. Now spread a layer of marinated meat in a heavy bottomed vessel. Place a layer of semi-cooked rice over this. Add saffron color, limejuice, ghee and the remaining crushed onions over the layer of rice. Spread a layer of marinated meat over this, and again spread the remaining semi-cooked rice. Now add the prepared aromatic water in a circular motion over the rice layer. Now tightly cover the vessel with a lid and keep it on a low flame. Take away the vessel from the flame exactly after 20 minutes. Hyderabadi Biryani is ready to eat. Serve hot.
Calicut Biriyani or Thalasseri Biriyani
A variant of Calicut Biryani or Thalasseri Biriyani is very popular in the cuisine of Kerala introduced by the Muslims. This preparation is very popular on the coast of Kerala, particularly in the the Malabar region. Biriyani may contain beef, lamb, chicken or fish as main ingredient.
This Biriyani is very different from others around India, where rice is commonly used mixed with ghee to produce a rich aroma. Although the local spices such as nutmeg, cashew nuts, cloves and cinnamon are used, there is only a small amount of pepper (or chili powder) used to prepare the spicy dish to make much less compared with all other Biriyanies of India.
Biriyani Recipes, Paste and Mix from Amazon
Chicken Biriyani Recipe
Biriyani has taken many separate forms and gone on to become a gourmet dish, that has been developed and fine tuned to such an extent that now one comes across at least 100 form of biriyanis.
In original form Biriyani has Rice and Meat as its basic ingredients. But now various alternatives developed. Now-a-days the main ingredient that accompanies the spices is the meat, beef, chicken, fish or shrimp etc. The rest of the ingredients the spices that go into it vary. Here let us know how to cook Chicken biriyani.
- Â½ kg Chicken
- 3 cup rice (Basmati)
- 2 Onion big (sliced)
- 2 Tomato medium - chopped
- 5 tbp Ghee
- 4 Green chillies
- 2 inch Ginger
- 6 pods Garlic
- 12 Cashew nuts
- 1 inch Cinnamon
- 4 Cloves
- 3 Cardamom
- Â½ cup chopped mint leaves
- Â½ cup Chopped coriander leaves
- 1 cup Coconut milk
- 1 pinch Saffron
- salt to taste
- ♠ Clean and wash the chicken pieces. Drain all the water and keep it aside.
- ♠ Make a paste with green chillies, garic and ginger.
- ♠ Take thick bottom vessel and heat with 5 tsp of ghee. Then add cardamom, cloves, cashew nuts and cinnamon. Fry for few seconds.
- ♠ Add onions and sautÃ© for 3 mins.
- ♠ Add tomato pieces, chicken pieces and paste. SautÃ© until the raw smell disappears.
- ♠ Add the washed basmati rice and stir well.
- ♠ Add coconut milk, water, coriander leaves and mint leaves. Occasionally stir well and close the lid. Cook until the rice Â¾ th cooked.
- ♠ Close the lid tightly and cook 20 more minutes in a very light flame.
- ♠ Remove the vessel your chicken biriyani is ready. Serve with onion raitha.
It is believed that the nomadic tribes carried dried meat and rice with them during their travels, layered the rice and meat and added some dried herbs and nuts, cooked over a wood fire for a while then buried under sand for few hours after the dish was ready. It was a very simple form of cooking biriyani in those days, which makes use of nature and its resources.
Vegetable Biriyani - Recipe
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 2 Big onions chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger past
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoons ground coriander
- 4 tablespoons ghee
- 1 pinch saffron
- 1 pinch turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup frozen fresh peas
- 1 Big tomato sliced
- 1 carrot (medium) diced
- 1 cup small cauliflower florets
- 1 cup water
- salt to taste
- Heat 1 tablespoon ghee and add rice; stir well. Add water, turmeric, salt, and crushed saffron. Wait untill boil, cover and reduce heat; simmer for 20 min.
- In the meantime, in a separate pan heat remaining 2 tablespoons ghee over medium heat and sautÃ© the onions for 5 minutes until brown. Add ginger past, garlic past, cumin, coriander, and cinnamon, and cook for one minute, stir constantly. Add 1/2 cup water, carrot, and cauliflower; cover, reduce heat and cook 5 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and simmer until vegetables are just tender, add water if needed. Add salt to taste.
- In separate vessel, spread half of rice in it, cover with vegetable mixture, and top with the rest of the rice. Cover tightly with foil and cook with very light fire for 20 minutes. Your vegetable biriyani is ready garnish with toasted cashews.
The variation between Biriyani and Pullao is that the pullao may be made by cooking the items collectively, and in Biriyani the rice is cooked alone from the thick sauce (curry of meat). The curry and the rice are then brought together and layered, ensuing strongly flavored sauce and meat.
- 4 cups of rice
- Â½ cup chopped coriander leaves
- Â½ cup chopped mint leaves
- 4 green chillies
- 3 tsp of coconut
- 3 big onions
- 1 medium onion
- 2 sticks of cinammon
- Â½ teaspoon cardommom seeds
- 4 cloves.
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic past.
- 2 teaspoons ginger past.
- 1 cup cauliflower flowerets
- Some mixed frozen vegetables like beans
- carrots and green peas as you like.
- 4 tsbp ghee
- salt to tast
- Grind the 1/2 onion, coconut, and coriander in the blender, to make a smooth paste and keep aside.
- Fry the onions until brown in the ghee and add the cloves, cinnamon and cardamom.
- When onions are browned , add the red chilli powder and fry for 1 minute. Now add all the vegetables, including the cauliflower and spray some water on it. Keep covered and cook on a low flame till the vegetables are cooked. Keep sprinkling water then and there if necessary, but do not add excess water as it will ruin the pullao.
- When the vegetables are cooked, transfer the vegetables to a big mixing vessel, add all the boiled rice, salt to taste and the blended masala. Mix carefully and then heat it in low heat for another 10 minutes. Your Pullao is ready and serve it with Raita.
For Biriyani Cooking
More Biriyani Recipes - Vids - Mutton, Chicken, Fish, egg, prawn, and jack fruit biriyani making
Jack Fruit Biriyani
More Biriyani Recipes
- Chicken Biryani Recipe
How to Make Tasty Chicken Biriyani - Recipe
- Hyderabadi Biryani
Biryani is a popular dish and relished all across India. Hyderabadi Biryani is one of the most sought after variants of the popular biryani.
- Vegetable Biryani by Tarla Dalal
A rich Moghlai pullao layered with curry.
- HANDI BIRYANI
A vegetable biryani prepared in handi.
- Kozhikode Chicken Biriyani
Malabar style chicken biriyani (Chicken Biryani) recipe
- GOSHT BIRYANI
Yummy Mutton Biryani preparations
- Mughlai Biryani
A regal dish, Mughlai Biryani is fit for a king and was probably eaten by many too! This makes the perfect one-dish meal for when you have company. It combines ingredients typical to the Mughlai style of cooking.
- Super Quick Cauliflower / Gobi Biryani Recipe
Yes, I totally made this recipe up. There's no such thing as a Cauliflower Biriyani. No, you are right, cauliflower does get added on to vegetable biriyani occasionally there's no biriyani that's exclusively dedicated to cauliflower.
- Hyderabadi Fish Biryani Recipe
Hyderabadi Fish Biryani is a very popular kind of biryani recipe in India. There are different kind of Hyderabadi biryani like dum biryani recipe, handi biryani recipe, kuchi biryani recipe, fish biryani recipe, and prawn biryani recipe.
- Nawabi Biryani
Nawabi Biryani is a special dish made on the occasion of Eid ul Fitr. It is a non-vegetarian dish which is made by using liberal amount of raisins, and is called 'Nawabi' Biryani precisely for this reason. Its ingredients are easily available in the
- Chettinad Mushroom Biryani
Cut Mushroom and vegetables and cut to medium sized cubes or lengthwise. Extract milk from the grated coconut and keep aside.