The Absolute Best Chicken Marsala Recipe
Elegant and Easy Chicken Marsala
Chicken Marsala is elegant and delicious. It's also really easy to make. A rich sauce of wine and mushrooms enrobes a chicken breast that's been seasoned, browned, then braised in the sauce. I've included recipes, links, and a video to help you make the best Chicken Marsala ever.
Photo by Pengrin
What is Chicken Marsala?
Chicken Marsala is an elegant, but easy-to-prepare dish of chicken breasts browned, then braised in the wonderful rich sauce of chicken stock, marsala wine, mushrooms, and shallots. There are a lot of variations on this basic recipe, but they all contain these ingredients.
The marsala sauce is reduced to a syrup-consistency for serving. For a creamy chicken marsala, cream or half-and-half is added to the sauce just before serving.
I've included several recipes here for Chicken Marsala, both creamy and not. You've got to taste this to believe how incredibly rich and delicious such a simple dish can be.
I highly recommend the video below that takes you step-by-step through the process. It also has a couple of wonderful ideas for presentation.
The Recipe for Chicken Marsala
Photo by Sea-Turtle
1/4 cup all-purpose flour for coating
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - pounded 1/4 inch thick
4 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup Marsala wine
1/4 cup cooking sherry
1. In a shallow dish or bowl, mix together the flour, salt, pepper and oregano. Coat chicken pieces in flour mixture.
2. In a large skillet, melt butter in oil over medium heat. Place chicken in the pan, and lightly brown. Turn over chicken pieces, and add mushrooms. Pour in wine and sherry. Cover skillet; simmer chicken 10 minutes, turning once, until no longer pink and juices run clear.
Recipe for Chicken Marsala with Creamy Sauce
Pretty similar. Just stir in cream at the end.
Photo by Pandora 6666
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
1/4 cup chopped green onion
1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
1/3 cup Marsala wine
salt and pepper to taste
1/3 cup heavy cream
1/8 cup milk
1. Sauté chicken in a large skillet for 15 to 20 minutes, or until cooked through and juices run clear.
2. Add green onion and mushrooms and sauté until soft, then add Marsala wine and bring to a boil.
3. Boil for 2 to 4 minutes, seasoning with salt and pepper to taste. Stir in cream and milk and simmer until heated through, about 5 minutes.
A Few More Chicken Marsala Recipes - Each one is a little different.
- Chicken Marsala Recipe at Epicurious.com
Adds cream and lemon juice to the sauce.
- Chicken Marsala Recipe by Tyler Florence
Tosses in a little prosciutto.
- Chicken Marsala Recipe from Cooking for Engineers
With the most detailed instructions you will ever see. Really.
- Chicken Marsala Recipe from Olive Garden
From the Olivegarden.com website.
- Chicken Marsala Recipe Originally from America's Test Kitchen
Uses a dab of tomato paste in the sauce.
Chef John from Food Wishes - This is the best explanation of chicken marsala I've ever seen!
Chef John takes you through the process step-by-step. This is a terrific teaching video. I encourage you to visit Chef John at Food Wishes
Lodge Logic Pre-Seasoned Chicken Fryer on Amazon - Click on the image for more information or to shop at Amazon.com
365 Ways to Cook Chicken on Amazon - Click on the image for more information or to shop at Amazon.com
Six Ingredients or Less Chicken Cookbook on Amazon - Click on the image for more information or to shop at Amazon.com
Photo by Pengrin
to use regular marsala and not sweet marsala in this recipe.
I hope you found a good recipe here. Thanks for visiting.