Best Homemade Apple Pie Recipe
The Best Homemade Apple Pie Recipe - Classic, Delicious American Apple Pie That Won't Disappoint
Apple pie is an all time American favorite. It goes great with ice cream or whipped cream, is great served up hot, and still delicious when served cool. This apple pie recipe doesn't call for any fancy ingredients, or any extra steps in making the crust - it's just a go-to, tasty apple pie recipe that will remain a staple in your collection. Be sure to have some premium vanilla ice cream on hand, along with plenty of eager dessert lovers. Continue reading for directions and the ingredient list for the best homemade apple pie recipe below!
Apple pie is one of America's favorite dessert dishes. If you're looking for an all-time classic version of apple pie, this one fits the bill. There's no secret ingredients, no time consuming work on the crust, it's just a dependable recipe that we might be able to dub the best homemade apple pie recipe because of its simplicity and reliability (it's hard to get this one wrong!).
* 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
* 3/4 teaspoons salt
* 2/3 cup butter
* 10 Tablespoons cold water
* 6 cups thinly sliced Granny Smith apples (cored and peeled)
* 1 tablespoon lemon juice
* 1 cup sugar
* 2 Tablespoons all purpose flour
* 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
* 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
How to Make the Apple Pie Crust
1. For the crust, stir together the flour, salt, and pour the butter into the mix. Take a fork and mash the butter into the mixture until it gets firmer. Add the water bit by bit, until it is wet enough to form a crust. Cut the dough in half, and form two pastry balls.
2. On a floured surface, roll out one ball of dough. Set that into the pie crust plate. Butter the bottom of the pie crust prior to placing the crust into the plate (or use a small amount of shortening). Flatten the pie crest to remove air bubbles, and pull it over the sides of the plate.
3. Cover the other ball of pastry crust so it doesn't dry out, with plastic wrap. Set aside. (Continue on to directions below).
Good Cook Pie Plate - Make your pies stand out from the rest with this sturdy pie plate
Does a pie plate really look all that appetizing in a cold, metal pie plate, or a disposable pie plate? Not really. A sturdy, heavy ceramic pie plate will insulate your pie when it's cooking, and give it an attractive look that will make your pies really shine. One of the bonuses of this pie plate is that it won't wobble around when you bring your pie from the counter to the table, or from the oven to a cooling rack. Just what you need for a pie-free floor and tasty apple pie.
* Red glazed exterior and cream interior
* Sturdy construction, attractive red color on the outside (makes your pies look fancier!)
* You won't have to worry about cutting through the metal or disposable aluminum - it's ceramic!
* Oven to table design
* Microwave, freezer, oven and dishwasher safe.
Directions for Homemade Apple Pie
Easy step by step direction on how to make apple pie
If you're thinking apple pie is hard to make, it's not. It does take a little bit of time, but the steps are pretty simple. Once you've made one pie, you're next one will go a lot smoother. Here are the step by step directions on how to make this apple pie recipe, along with some photos of the process:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Peel and core the apples.
The flour and sugar mix, being mashed together with a potato masher. And that cup you see in the background on the left is the I Am Not a Paper Cup reusable cup (for morning coffee).
2. Stir together the cinnamon, nutmeg, flour, and sugar until well moistened in a large bowl. Add the apple mixture into the pie plate that has the crust on the bottom.
3. Take the other half of the pastry dough and roll out into a round, flat sheet. Gently place on top of the apples. Push together the two crusts together at the seams, and take a fork around the edge to give the pie a ridged look around the crust.
Use a fork to make lines in the crust as desired, or use your fingers to indent the crust making patterns, weaves, etc. (or just leave it as is, depending on how fancy you want your pie).
4. Brush the top of the pie with milk, then dust lightly with granulated sugar (about 1 teaspoon). This will help the sugar stick to the crust. Bake for 1 hour, or until the filling is tender and the top is lightly browned. Remove, and let cool slightly. Serve immediately with ice cream or whipped cream.
Some Tips for a Better Apple Pie:
* Make the pastry crust fresh. Using a pre-done crust saves some time, but tastes a lot different (not in a good way).
* Experiment with your pie. Add some different similar spices, like allspice, ginger, or cloves, in small amounts. See what people do and don't like.
* Place aluminum foil on top of your pie for the first half of the cooking cycle if your oven runs hotter than normal. The only way to tell this is by trial and error!
* Make sure you always have ice cream and/or whipped cream on hand for this apple pie recipe. It never tastes as good without it!
* Don't skimp on the ice cream. Cheaper ice cream tastes like... cheap ice cream. And if you're making homemade apple pie, why bother serving it with low quality ice cream?
If you're ever looking to save yourself the time and buy an incredible gourmet apple pie, gourmetstation.com has some excellent ones that can be shipped to your door (and they also have some decadent looking cheesecakes, too).
Products That Will Simplify This Apple Pie Recipe - Recommended, well reviewed apple pie making products
The right tool for an apple pie will make serving the pie easier, peeling the apples a breeze, and combining the pastry a whole lot easier. With these recommended products in your collection, you'll be able to make a pie much quicker, and chances are, you'll be making them more often. Guests, friends and family will love that!
Serve up your pie easier with this awesome OXO steel pie server. You put all the time into making it, don't serve it up with a small knife that will make a big mess!
A pastry blender will make combining flour with wet ingredients super easy. A big time saver, and it will combine things better.
A marble rolling pin is easier to peel dough from than a wooden one, and much, much easier to wash.
Don't eat much apples because they're a pain to core? This useful gizmo will be your new best friend in the kitchen.
A good pastry brush has so many uses for cooking. Spread out olive oil on breads, milk on this apple pie, brush marinades over meats... it's an essential kitchen tool.
Cut your own designs into the top of the crust, or take some of the leftover crust and form it into shapes which can be put onto the top of the pie, and fastened together with some brushed milk.
Apple pie... all done and ready to serve!
A Cookbook for Apple Pie Lovers - Make a better, tastier apple pie with over 100 different homemade recipes!
No bake pies, Dutch Apple pie, it's all in this book that features over a hundred different apple pie recipes. It's one of the most popular American desserts of all time, so is it all that over the top to have a book at your disposal that has 100 different apple pie recipes? Improve your existing pie recipe, try a bunch of new ones, and find out what makes separates good pies from extraordinary ones with this apple pie lovers cookbook.
If you have someone in your family that loves to cook and bake, this apple pie encyclopedia would be a great addition to their collection. Who knows, maybe they'll thank you with one of the tasty pies from the book?
More Delicous Apple Pie Recipes - Try these other homemade apple pie recipes...
Here are a few of the other recipes on the web that have good reviews from people who have made them:
- Old Fashioned Apple Pie
Another homemade version of apple pie, including almond flour, brown sugar, allspice, and brandy. A little spicier, a little different.
- 20 Minute Apple Pie
20 minutes preparation time for this easy apple pie.
- Vegan Apple Pie
A vegan version of apple pie that doesn't include the animal products.
- Grandma Oples Apple Pie Recipe
An old favorite that has received rave reviews from people who have made it.
- Delicious Apple Pie with Shortening Pastry Crust
Shortening definitely gives crust a different taste. If you'd like to change it up, give this one a try.
- Delicious Homemade Apple Crisp
This is easier to make than pie, and still has all that tremendous flavor that you expect in terms of cinnamon, nutmeg, and fall flavors.
Classic Apple Pie Filling - How to make apple pie filling - an easy cooking tutorial
Need some moving visuals to help you with your recipe? There's no way this can be messed up. This easy tutorial will walk you through every step of the way:
Share your best apple pie making tip, tell us about your favorite apple pie, or tell us how this recipe came out for you! Or, just proclaim your love for apple pie, there's nothing wrong with that either.