Best recipe websites from around the world
Where to find the best recipes online
The internet has become the go to place for finding recipes for free. Most of us who love to cook have a few recipe websites that have become firm favorites that we head to whenever we feel the urge to cook.
Lately I have been on a bit of a mission to find some new and interesting recipes. Different chefs and cuisines and in the process have found an amazing number of great new web sources for my cooking pleasure.
After much debate I have decided to sort the sites geographically. It makes sense to me because of the seasonality of cooking and the availability of produce in difference places. From large directory websites, sites of individual chefs and cooking shows to amazing blogs by home cooks below I have presented my favorites. I would love to hear about yours so be sure to add it at the bottom of the page.
Australian Recipe Websites
My top 5 Australian recipe websites
- Taste - My first stop every time I am looking for a recipe, Taste lists recipes from most of Australia's top selling food magazines. With active forums and handy food collections like healthy recipes, low Fodmap recipes (for IBS), Diabetes recipes and special occasions sets.
- Lifesytle Food - Featuring chefs and recipes from the Lifestyle pay tv channel. If celebrity chefs inspire you this is the place to browse for recipes. Many feature video to accompany the recipe.
- Ninemsn The recipe search at Ninemsn features content from the Australian Women's Weekly, Australian Table, Women's Day and Gourmet Traveller along with channel 9 TV programs. The search tool here is very good and has lots of options for sorting recipes by special dietary needs.
- Better Homes and Gardens This site has recipes and tips from both the magazine and TV show. I love Karen Martini and Fast Ed's recipes so this is one site I tend to go back to quite often.
- SBS Food If you are looking for an authentic recipes from almost any place on the globe the SBS food website is a good stop. The site features recipes from all the cooking programs shown on SBS TV and great helpful extras like "In season" and "Ask the chef".
British Recipe Websites
5 Best British Recipe websites
- UK Food The British cousin of our Aussie Lifestyle food channel UK food features the recipes of famous British chefs including Nigella Lawson, Rick Stein, Gordon Ramsay and Ainsley Harriott. Lots of great photography, videos and forums - well worth a look.
- BBC Food I love the design of this site. Featuring the recipes from many great BBC cooking programs including The Delicious Miss Dahl, The Hairy Bikers, Rick Steins Far Eastern Odyssey and UK Masterchef. My favourite thing here those is the Techniques section. Great for new cooks or anyone wanting to improve their skills. Learn how to debone a leg of lamb or prepare artichoke hearts - this site gobbles up chunks of my time every visit.
- Great British Kitchen This site features over 1200 British recipes and hopes to inspire those who love British Cuisine and educate those who wish to know more of the traditions of British Cooking.
- Jamie Oliver - We have all seen the books and even the TV shows but have you visited Jamie's website? It's an attractive well designed site full of recipes and videos, links to his TV show and a community forum for you to add your recipes or ask a question.
- Delia Smith- - Delia is like the Julia Child's and Martha Stewart or Margaret Fulton of Britain I guess. My mum had some of Delia's books and her recipes were foolproof. The stand out for me on this website is the How to Cook section How to cook perfect for beginner cooks or just if you want to learn to do this the "proper" way. There is also a cool equipment section that lists the in and outs of all sorts of kitchen "essentials" and how to choose what to buy for your kitchen.
All your favourite British chefs
Watch cooking segments free online - Learn from your favorite chefs on your PC
American Recipe Websites
My 5 Best American Recipe Websites
- Epicurious- The gourmet home chef will love this website. The recipes can be challenging but there is plenty here to help you hone your cooking skills and impress your guests.
- Food Network -Like Lifestyle Food Australia Food Network is home to many of the TV chefs you know and love. There is a strong focus on using seasonal produce and eating a more healthy diet among the large number of recipes here.
- My Recipes Professionally tested recipes from lots of well known American based magazines including Cooking Light, Health.com and Real Simple. The site features how to videos and allows you to save recipes in your online "recipe file"
- Rachel Ray With recipes from the magazine and the TV show the recipe search on the Rachel Ray site is a godsend.
- Top Chef The Top Chef site features recipes from all 8 seasons of the show. The search function is excellent and lets you limit results by degree of difficultly, season, food intolerance's, even mood!
My Top 5 Healthy Food websites - cook something delicious and good for you too
- Teresa Cutter - Teresa is known in Australia as the healthy chef. She has a great blog you can subscribe to get a recipe a week straight to your email. Among the most recent are Healthy pumpkin pie and the world's healthiest choc chip cookie. There are lots of gluten free recipes on the site too including gluten free Christmas pudding. This site is visually beautiful and good for you. What more could you want.?
- Sanitarium Australia's number 1 health food company has lots of great recipes on their website suitable for vegans and vegetarians and anyone who just wants to eat a more healthy diet.
- Healthy Food Guide - The website of the Australian magazine Healthy Food Guide is full of amazingly simple but tasty recipes and healthy food tips. It also has some great tools and print outs like menu planning guide and flavour combination charts.
- The Biggest Loser Australia - One of my favourite health muffin recipes is from this site Banana, cinnamon and carrot muffins with crunchy nut topping . Plenty here to help trim the waistline.
- Australian Heart Foundation - The recipes here are perfect for everyone whether you have a heart condition or not.
The Best food shows on DVD - Add your vote
Here are some of my favorite TV chefs on DVD. Which is your favourite. Vote here or add it to the list.
Top 5 Recipe and cooking Blogs
Lately some of my favourite recipes are coming from personal blogs of avid home cooks and chefs.
- Exclusively Food - This is listed first because recently I have more from this blog than any other and every single recipe has been a bit hit. Try the Salmon bites, and my favourite finger food dessert Mini Baked Cheesecakes for your next party.
- A Delicious Year A little bit like Julia and Julia, Katren from a Delicious Year has been cooking a recipe a week from the Australian Food Magazine Delicious and more recently Bill Granger's Sydney food cookbook for a almost 18 months. Her posts include the recipe, photograph and her experience cooking it... an honest view of what it tastes like and how it worked. There are lots of great recipes here - I particularly like the Valli Little ones.
- Chocolate and Zucchini - This blog by Parisian Clotilde Dusoulier is full of wonderful recipes and is available in both French and English. Clotilde has been blogging since 2003 so there is plenty here to rummage through. My favourite recipe here is the. Chocolate and coconut gluten free and dairy free muffins.
- Citrus and Candy - Home of the most successful dessert recipe I have ever cooked. Spiced Chocolate Bread and Butter pudding Citrus and Candy is written by British born Sydney-sider Karen. There is a good assortment of savory and sweet recipes and some really great photography.
- David Lebovitz is an American born award winning pastry and dessert chef who now resides in Paris. He has written 6 books, the first two of which are collector's items. His blog is a mix of recipes, stories of his life in Paris and great tips on eating out - perfect for planning your next trip to Paris. I put a few of these to the test last year and they were spot on! Cook his Idiot's Chocolate cake and I am sure you will be as hooked on this site as I am.