- Food and Cooking
Best Vegetable Lasagna Recipe
How to Easily Make The Best Roasted Vegetable Lasagna
This is by far the best vegetable lasagna recipe I have used. If you have an over abundance of fresh vegetables from your garden or when veggies are in season this roasted vegetable lasagna makes the perfect family meal.
The reason that I say family meal is that I used to have a really difficult time trying to get my kids and grandkids to eat vegetables like eggplant, zucchini, red and yellow bell peppers. If I brought out a portobella mushroom, I'd have them running for the hills.
As for my husband, he never really fancied lasagna. Now, who in their right mind does not like lasagna? My husband is a meat and potato eater and even with the best meat lasagna he wouldn't touch it.
So, I started experimenting. After many attempts, I finally came up with a lasagna that not only pleased the crowds but also had my kids and grandkids asking for seconds. At first, I was hesitant to tell them what all was in the lasagna but after the third request for me to make the same meal, I figured it was time for this sneaky cook to show them exactly what their favorite dish was made out of.
As for my husband, he loves this dish. He's keeps telling everyone that we have the best vegetable lasagna recipe out there.
One thing I love about this recipe is that it never really the same. The vegetables are all interchangeable,so whatever you have on hand or is season usually works.
Have fun with the recipe, change it up to your liking. Nothing is set in stone. Serve it with a salad and a loaf of crusty french bread and you will have a meal fit for royalty.
All photos on this page are my own and taken with my iPhone.
Copyright text and photos, if not mentioned otherwise: Judith Nazarewicz
"Lasagna: the world's most perfect food!"
'Garfield' (Jim Davis)
What do you do with basket full of vegetables and a house full of company? - You guessed it! Make the Best Roasted Vegetable Lasagna!
Rachael Ray Stoneware Rectangular Pan - Beautiful lasagna pan
Rachael Ray's stoneware collection is what I wish I had for this vegetable lasagna recipe.
My favorite lasagna pan was too small for this recipe, so I had to use one of my giant tin foil pans. Since writing this recipe I bought this stoneware and I just love it.
This lasagna stoneware dish is beautiful. I chose the green but it comes in 7 beautiful vibrant colors to go with almost any kitchen decor.After trying the dish a view times, I found that the lasagna comes out perfect and the pan washes up beautifully. A little large for my dishwasher, so I hand wash with regular dish soap and water needs no scrubbing.I like the fact that it looks really nice even as a serving dish. The pot holder handles are a superb feature and the holes are large enough to fit silicone hand mitts in.One thing that the directions recommend that when removing lasagna dish from oven it's best to place the dish on a soft cloth or trivet. Placing the hot dish on a cold surface may cause cracking.All in all, I love this stoneware dish.
Expandable Lasagna Lugger
Photo Credit: Amazon
CLICK on the Image for the Best Price and more info and customer reviews.
If you're anything like me you're probably lugging your Great Lasagna to family get-togethers and pot luck dinners and what better way to transport that delicious Lasagna than with Rachael Ray's Expandable Lasagna Lugger. I just love this Lasagna Lugger! Anytime I take this lasagna lugger with me people are all over me wanting to know where I bought it. It's perfect for lasagna or carrying two different dishes. It's perfect for both hot and cold dishes! Pair this up with Rachael Ray's stoneware
lasagna pan and you are all set to go!
Do You Love Lasagna?
There are so many variations of the lasagna recipe and I was wondering what kind everyone likes or do you even like lasagna? Love to hear your comments!
What kind of lasagna is your favorite?
- 1 lb. uncooked lasagna noodles 460 g
- 4 red bell peppers
- 4 yellow bell peppers
- 3 large zucchinis
- 2 eggplants
- 1 large sweet onion
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 3 portobella mushrooms
- 1/4 cup olive oil 60 ml
- 3 cups ricotta or low-fat cottage cheese 720 ml
- 2 eggs beaten
- 2 tsp chopped fresh oregano 10 ml
- 1 tsp. black pepper 5 ml
- 7 cups Sweet Basil Tomato Sauce 1.7 L
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- grated 240 ml
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese 480 ml
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Cut the red and yellow bell peppers in half length-wise. Seed the peppers and lay them out on a cookie sheet with the skin side up. Roast them at 400 F. or if you are in a rush you can broil them until their skins are blackened. Next, place the red and yellow peppers in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap and allow them to cool down.
- Cook the lasagna noodles according to package directions. (cooked al dente) and once they are ready, drain and set aside until ready to assemble.
- Reduce oven to 375 F. Slice each zucchini lengthwise into 3or 4 wide strips. Score the eggplant's skin by running a fork along the skin of the entire eggplant and slice the eggplant lengthwise into 1/4-inch slices. Lay the zucchini and eggplant on a lightly oiled baking sheet, brush each piece with oil and roast at 375 F until tender and brown.
- Slice the portabella mushrooms and lay on a lightly oiled baking sheet along side the sliced onions and roast at 375 F. until tender. For these I only bake until the onions are translucent.
- Reduce the oven to 350 F. Peel the red and yellow bell peppers and set aside.
- In a large bowl mix together the ricotta, 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, eggs,oregano and black pepper. Sometimes if I don't have fresh oregano I use a mixture of spaghetti spice. (about a tbsp.)
- Chop the garlic and mix it into the cheese mixture or add it to the tomato sauce. ( I like to use a lot of garlic but if you are not a fan of garlic you can leave it out.)
- To assemble, spread a thin layer of tomato sauce in the bottom of a lightly oiled 9x12 inch deep baking dish.
- Follow with:
- A layer of lasagna noodles
- Half the cheese mixture, evenly spread over the noodles
- Arrange whole flanks of roasted eggplant over the cheese mixture
- Another layer of noodles
- 3-4 cups of tomato sauce, spread over the noodles
- roasted zucchini, whole strips arranged over the tomato sauce
- remaining half of cheese mix, spread evenly over the zucchini
- A final layer of noodles
- Whole roasted red and yellow bell peppers, spread out over the noodles
- Remaining sauce spread over the peppers
- Top with the grated mozzarella
- Bake lasagna uncovered for about 1 1/2 hours. The cheese on top will be golden and bubbly. If you do not want the cheese to brown, cover the top of the lasagna with alumni foil during the last half-hour of baking. Allow to cool and set for 20 minutes before serving.
- This vegetable lasagna may be frozen for up to one month if wrapped tightly in foil or plastic wrap. This is also a perfect dish to bake, and then cut into individual portions and wrap for days that you just don't feel like cooking or as in our house for anyone who is hungry and needs a quick meal.
Ingredients I Used for the Ricotta Cheese Mixture
Making Roasted Vegetable Lasagna - Here's a few pictures I took while making this lasagnaClick thumbnail to view full-size
Lasagna, Salad, and Garlic Bread - How yummy is that?
Photo Credit: Judith Nazarewicz
Lasagna Pans That Are A Little Different - Some really cool ideas!
You will love these pans! They offer some unique ideas for cooking up your families favorite lasagna dishes. I know if I could I would buy one of each for my own kitchen.
Now this is a clever idea! It's perfect for multiple variations of lasagna especially when you have a family with different tastes.
This pan is great for serving individual slices of lasagna and easy for freezing the rest.
I really like this pan especially if you want to make different types of lasagna.
This is the perfect deep pan for your multi-layer lasagna.It is one of the few full 4" lasagna pans that I've found (that has straight edges). The price is good and is almost beautiful to use.
This is a great lasagna pan especially if you are like me and have a lot of pot-luck dinners to attend. It really is an outstanding product!
My Tips on Variations of The Best Vegetable Lasagna Recipes
Sometimes I will use gluten free lasagna noodles, other times wholewheat noodles, and sometimes I'll make my own noodles right from scratch. It all depends on how much time I have or who's coming for dinner.
As for the vegetables I'll vary them from time to time depending on what I have fresh on hand or what happens to be a good buy at the market.
I sometimes switch regular mushrooms for the portobella mushrooms.
When it comes to the cheese mixture if I have feta cheese in the fridge I will mix that in with the ricotta along with the grated parmesan cheese.
So really when I am making this lasagna it really isn't ever the same. So be creative and enjoy!
Tomato Feta Salad
Photo Credit: Judith Nazarewicz
I was going to make a large Ceasar Salad to go along with the vegetable lasagna but my son came in and saw all the tomatoes and onions and bell peppers and he asked if I could make up a tomato salad to go with the lasagna.
The New Lasagna Cookbook - A Pleasing Collection of Recipes from Around the World
I love cook books and my family can verify that. It seems every time we move they make the same comment, "Do you really need all these cookbooks?" :-)
This is another one that I've added to my own collection.
If you are looking for some new flavour combinations and would like to experiment, this book has great recipes to try. This is the perfect cook book if you have a "triple lasagna pan".
Vegan Version of This Roasted Vegetable Lasagna
With just a few alterations this recipe makes an delicious vegan lasagna
I'm not totally vegan but working on it. We have many friends though that are vegan. So when we have them over for dinner I will use the same basic recipe but make the lasagna non-dairy by omitting the mozzarella and crumbling medium-firm tofu in place of the ricotta.
Adding a few tbsp. of nutritional yeast will give this vegan lasagna a nice cheesy taste. I also will use wheat-free or gluten-free lasagna noodles. This makes for a really light and enjoyable dish.
Here are some substitutes I use for my vegan lasagna. Most of the time we make our own pasta. Homemade pasta is delicious. Once you try it, you will find it hard to go back!
this pasta is expensive but well worth it.
It is the best tasting gluten free I've tasted.
This yeast has a great cheesy taste.
This pasta machine is great! I've had one for years and I use it all the time.
I added the lasagna attachment as we love making over own lasagna noodles.
Vegetable Lasagna Recipe Videos - More variations of vegetarian lasagna meals
The Pioneer Woman Cooks: - Recipes from an Accidental Country Girl
Paging through this cookbook I found a great recipe for lasagna along with a number of other other delicious recipes like roasted corn salad, blackberry cobbler, flat apple pie, chocolate sheet cake and etc. Ree Drummond provides loads of pictures of each step of the her recipes to supplement the text.
I was initially, drawn to this cookbook because of its cover, but I found the contents to be excellent, especially if you are a beginner cook. The cookbook is filled with a collection of her photography, rural stories, and yummy recipes that are accompanied by step by step directions and photos.
I would recommended this cookbook for anyone who wants to expand their cooking knowledge or just simply loves to cook..
Junaz11 is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.