What is bey's soup?
Hi, I am coming from Bosnia and I would love to present you our traditional recipe called Bey's soup. This is our traditional meal, very tasty and very popular. One plate of this divine soup is enough for me to keep me through the day. It is nutritious and contains all the ingredients that are necessary for our body. Enjoy!
- 1 liter of water
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon of flour
- lemon juice
- carrot and parsnip cut into cubes
- 100 grams of okra ( required in this soup )
- 300 grams of veal cut into cubes
- 300 grams of chicken meat cut into cubes
- 2 -3 laurel leaves
- salt and pepper
- some milk and water
- 50 ml of whipped cream
- finely chopped parsley
The more spices the better!
In one liter of water add carrot and parsnip root sliced into cubes, 100 grams of okra, 300 grams of veal and chicken meat cut into cubes and 2-3 laurel leaves. Cook for 2-3 hours, add water as needed.
When the vegetables and meat are over, in another dish make light basis for the sauce ( butter, tablespoon of flour, add little water and milk, salt and pepper ). Then add this to the pot with vegetables and meat, gently stir till it thickens well. With constant stirring add whipping cream and 1 egg. When it's done, add nutmeg.
Before serving, put a lot finely chopped parsley on the soup and dip in some lemon juice. Lemon must be served additionally if someone wants to add it later in the soup.
And voila!!! It's done, hopefully you will enjoy in this wonderful soup.
You need good dishes for better cooking!
ANOTHER TRADITIONAL BOSNIAN MEALS - Try it out!
I will give you couple of more recipes for some other traditional bosnian meals. Hopefully you will like them and enjoy in them, because they are very delicious. Everyone who has tried one of these was very content. Enjoy!
BOSNIAN STEW (BOSANSKI LONAC) - PREPARATION TIME : 3-4 HOURS
- 80 grams of high quality beef
- 60 grams of potatoes
- 2 grams of salt
- 1 dl vinegar
- 2 dl of water
- 15 grams of onion
- green beans
- 8 cloves of garlic
- some potatoes
- 10 grams of carrot
- 12 cloves
- parchment paper
Slice all the vegetables except garlic. Meat cut in bigger pieces. Potatoes slice in half, if it is bigger potato than keep it whole, don't slice it. You put in a pot one row of vegetables and spice, then one row of meat, and do like that until you reach the top of the pot. The pot should not be fill too much because the dish has to simmer. In stacked pot pour vinegar mixed with 2ml of water and cover it with cut tomato. Cover all of that with parchment paper, tie it up and roast. At the beginning fire in the oven has to be strong, later lower it down and let it simmer for 3-4 hours. Serve the meat with the sauce from the pan.
- Cook time: 40 min
- Ready in: 40 min
- 600 grams of ground beef
- 400 grams of eggplant
- 2 cloves of onions
- 400 grams of tomato sauce
- 80 ml of white wine
- little sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of oregano
- 2 tablespoons of chopped parsley
- 100 grams of breadcrumbs
- 100 grams of parmesan
- 600 ml of bechamel sauce
- 1 lemon
- 3 eggs
- olive oil
- Wash eggplants, clean and cut lengthwise in Â½ cm thick slices. Move them into a bowl with salted water and keep them in there for 20 minutes. Then drain the eggplant slices, pat dry with a cloth, and in a pan, in hot olive oil, fry on both sides (during roasting, if necessary, add a little olive oil).
- Remove the fried eggplant slices on kitchen paper to absorb excess fat. In a frying pan,in the grease from frying, add the chopped onion and fry until it gets soft. Then add the minced meat and fry, stirring constantly, until the meat becomes chunky and until all the liquid has evaporated. Then add the white wine, tomato sauce, salt, pepper, sugar, cinnamon powder, chopped parsley, oregano, and mix everything together, cover and simmer over low heat for about 5 minutes.
- After that, remove the meat from heat, leave it to let cool and stir in 1-2 tablespoons of bread crumbs, half the grated Parmesan cheese and a scrambled egg. In a separate bowl, pour the bechamel sauce, add 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and 2 beaten eggs mixed with the remaining Parmesan.
- At the bottom of oil coated casserole, arrange half slices of fried eggplant, then distribute minced meat, cover with the rest of the eggplant and all together pour over with prepared bechamel sauce. Bake in preheated oven at 180 Â° C for about 35 minutes.
POTS FOR STEW!
- Cook time: 20 min
- Ready in: 20 min
SOGAN DOLMA (STUFFED ONIONS)
- 1 kg of onions (large head)
- 500 gr of minced meat
- 100 gr of rice
- 5 pieces of carrots
- 1 whipped cream
- 1 teaspoon of pepper
- 4 teaspoons of vegetable seasoning
- 1 teaspoon of salt
Clean the onions and cut the top of each head. Cook for a few minutes. Drain it and put it to cool. In the meantime, prepare the stuffing.
Add to meat grated carrots, salt, pepper and rice. Mix it all and start to fill onions.
Discard the first layer of onion, use the medium as a substrate, and the remaining fill. Fill the onions, arrange, cook on first on high, and later on a low heat. While serving drizzle with whipped cream cream.
- Cook time: 2 hours
- Ready in: 2 hours
- 1 head of sauerkraut (sour cabbage)
- 1 kilo of minced meat
- 1 onion
- bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon of ground red pepper
- 3 small cups of rice
- 1 egg
- 1 clove of garlic
- 3 tablespoons of flour (for roux)
With knife cut out the middle of cabbage so that leaves could easily be separated. If the cabbage is very sour (tart) you should take one leaf after another and rinse them under running water. Mix with hand compact mass of meat, rice, spices and eggs.
Then take the meat piece by piece, form with your hands in little rollers and fill the leaf with meat. Put sarma into a deeper pot one to another. Cover all with a few remaining leaves of cabbage, sprinkle with pepper corns, pour water so that everything is covered, add the bay leaf and simmer covered for about 2 hours. Shake sarma occasionally not to get scorched, never mix with spoons for cooking.
Roux - add chopped garlic and ground red pepper on the heated oil (5-6 tablespoons), and then flour and then stir with adding water (about 3dl) until is completely liquid. Stir with a spoon until it boils and until it begins to thicken. In the end add roux and cook for 10 minutes.
CEVAPI - CEVAPCICI
Cevapi or cevapcici is originally a Turkish dish that has experienced a certain transformation in the Balkans. Today cevapi represent a Bosnian national barbeque specialty.
- 400 g of boneless beef
- 100 g of beef tallow
- 2 g of salt
- 4 pcs of Lepine (somun)
- 200 g of onions
- 1 piece of beef soup cube
- Meat and fat are cut into small pieces and then grind in a meat grinder. The resulting mixture stir with hands and add a little salt, and then grind in a machine again. The resulting mixture stir with hands for 15-20 minutes, and then leave it in the fridge to rest for 10-12 hours at a temperature of 5-10 degrees Celsius. Cevapi are formed from a mixture using a funnel through which the mixture is expelled. Each cevap is 3-4 cm long.
- In a pot pour 0, 5 liters of water and when it boils add beef cube soup. After 5 minutes of cooking remove the soup from the heat. In the soup immediately before grilling put cut lepine (somuni).cevapi together with lepine put on a barbecue, and when they are finished put cevapi inside the cut lepine (somuni).
- Lepine (somuni) with cevapi you serve on a plate on which you put a little chopped onion.
- 800 grams of beef
- 150 grams of onions
- 100 ml of oil
- sweet red peppers
- half a clove of garlic
- celery leaves
- parsley leaf
- two tablespons of tomato concentrate
- small teaspoon of peppercorn
Cut the beef into small pieces. Garlic and onion chop, warm the oil and add onion, parsley, celery, salt, pepper and pieces of beef.
Cook until the water from meat and vegetables boils.Lower the heat, add the red pepper and tomato sauce.
When the meat is stewed, pour the water in it and let it boil. Cook until meat is soft.
Serve with cooked rice.